Current through each resistor

In summary, when dealing with a circuit containing resistors in both parallel and series, the total current through the circuit can be calculated by reducing the circuit to its simplest form and using this to calculate the total current. From there, the process can be reversed to calculate the current through each individual resistor. The current through each resistor can also be calculated using the voltage drop and the current divider rule. It is important to note that when calculating the current through an equivalent resistance made up of resistors in series, the current through each individual resistor is the same as the current through the equivalent resistance.
LakeMountD
if you have a circuit where there are resistors in parallel as well as in series how do you calculate the current through each individual resistor? I have found examples that explain it when they are all in series or all in parallel but i am very confused otherwise.

Physics news on Phys.org
LakeMountD said:
if you have a circuit where there are resistors in parallel as well as in series how do you calculate the current through each individual resistor? I have found examples that explain it when they are all in series or all in parallel but i am very confused otherwise.

Can you upload a picture? Or just sketch using the keyboard?

Are you using a physics or engineering textbook?

Try reducing the circuit to its simpliest form like you did in your last question. Use this to calculate the total current of the circuit. Then reverse the reduction process one step at a time. When you add a parallel branch just divide the current that would pass through the 'equivalent' resistor between the branches as you would for a straight parallel circuit.

http://img210.exs.cx/img210/2812/resistor6xg.gif

here is the circuit.. i took the quiz today and couldn't figure it out.. i just don't understand how to do it.. the damn book is worthless since the example they show only has like two resistors in series..

Notice that R1 and R2 are in series. So replace it with the equivalent Req1=R1+R2. Now notice this resistor is in parallel with R3. So replace it with Req2, where 1/Req2=1/Req1+1/R3. And so on.

LakeMountD said:
http://img210.exs.cx/img210/2812/resistor6xg.gif

here is the circuit.. i took the quiz today and couldn't figure it out.. i just don't understand how to do it.. the damn book is worthless since the example they show only has like two resistors in series..

So the question is to figure out Req1, Req2 etc...?

Read over krab's post. Look at each diagram... look at what changes from one diagram to the next. Either you have two resistors in series being replaced by the equivalent resistance, or two resistors in parallel are being replaced by an equivalent resistance.

learningphysics said:
So the question is to figure out Req1, Req2 etc...?

Read over krab's post. Look at each diagram... look at what changes from one diagram to the next. Either you have two resistors in series being replaced by the equivalent resistance, or two resistors in parallel are being replaced by an equivalent resistance.

no i understand how to get that but i have to find the current through each individual resistor.. i know you have to find the voltage drop and stuff like that to do it but i can't seem to figure it out.

Let's just put it simple

If you had a battery and three resistors connected in seriesi with each other and the battery then the CURRENT across each of the them is the SAME but the POTENTIAL DIFFERENCE across each of them is DIFFERENT
In this case for three resistors of resistances R1, R2, and R3

[tex] V_{n} = iR_{n} [/tex] for each resistor Rn observe the valu for i is the SAM for all the resistors ALL IN SERIES

If you had a battery and the three resistors are connected in parallel with each other and the battery then the CURRETN across each resistor is DIFFERENT and the POTENTIAL DIFFERENCE across each of them is the SAME

In this case [tex] V = i_{n} R_{n} [/tex] for each resistor Rn there is a different current in going through it

LakeMountD said:
no i understand how to get that but i have to find the current through each individual resistor.. i know you have to find the voltage drop and stuff like that to do it but i can't seem to figure it out.

Start at the right hand side, and work leftwards...
First figure out the current through R6 (the second figure from the right).

I6=V/(R6+R4eq)

Now get the current through R5. I recommend using the current divider rule (current through R6 splits and goes through R5 and Req3).

I5=I6*[Req3/(Req3+R5)]

Also, read over stunner's post. I'd like to reiterate one thing he said.

When you get the current through a particular equivalent resistance, which is made up from resistors in series... then the current through each of the resistors in series, is the current through the equivalent resistance.
For example: Req3=Req2+R4

So when you calculate the current through Req3, you've automatically calculated the current through Req2 and R4. The current through R4, is the same as the current through Req3.

Let me know if this helps...

Last edited:

1. What is current?

Current is the flow of electric charge through a circuit. It is measured in amperes (A) and is the rate at which electric charges (usually electrons) move past a given point in a circuit.

2. What is the relationship between current and resistance?

According to Ohm's Law, current is directly proportional to voltage and inversely proportional to resistance. This means that as resistance increases, current decreases, and vice versa.

3. How is current affected by the number of resistors in a circuit?

The total current in a circuit is the sum of the currents through each individual resistor. This means that as more resistors are added in a series circuit, the total current decreases, while in a parallel circuit, the total current increases.

4. Can current flow through a resistor in both directions?

Yes, current can flow through a resistor in both directions depending on the direction of the voltage source. In a DC circuit, the current flows in one direction, while in an AC circuit, the current alternates directions.

5. How can current through each resistor be calculated?

The current through each resistor can be calculated using Ohm's Law (I = V/R) where I is the current in amperes, V is the voltage in volts, and R is the resistance in ohms. Alternatively, Kirchhoff's Current Law states that the total current entering a junction in a circuit is equal to the total current leaving the junction.