Finding the surface area of a curved object using calculus

In summary, the homework involved finding the surface area of a solid made from rotating the line y=x^2 around the x axis. The equations for the surface of revolution were integrated, and the solution was found using u-substitution with integration by parts.
lch7
1. Homework Statement
I need some help with a surface area of a solid. The solid is made from rotating the line y=x^2 around the x axis. So it's sort of like a cone or a horn. Here are my steps:

2. Homework Equations
Surface of revolution formula
Integrate 2∏r times the square root of 1 plus the derivative squared (dx).

3. The Attempt at a Solution
2[itex]\pi[/itex] [itex]\int[/itex] x[itex]^{2}[/itex] [itex]\sqrt{1+2x^2}[/itex]
This is the surface of revolution concept of course. How do I integrate this? Should I make the square root a power of .5??

Physics news on Phys.org
If your derivative = 2x, then the derivative squared = (2x)^2, NOT 2x^2

As to the integral itself, try u-substitution with integration by parts.

Thanks!

As for the curve y = x[itex]^{2}[/itex] , it is an upward parabola with the centre on the origin and x-axis.So when rotated about the x-axis the solid should look something like the attachement image I did.

Now you can integrate the figure using area under curves method.

Attachments

• y=x^2 solid.pdf
    18.1 KB · Views: 264
Abhinav R said:
As for the curve y = x[itex]^{2}[/itex] , it is an upward parabola with the centre on the origin and x-axis.So when rotated about the x-axis the solid should look something like the attachement image I did.

Now you can integrate the figure using area under curves method.

No that's not correct sorry

lch7 said:
No that's not correct sorry
But I think the parabola statement was right,because y = x^2 is an upward parabola right?

Abhinav R said:
But I think the parabola statement was right,because y = x^2 is an upward parabola right?

The parabola's base or curve is at the origin, the lines point up left and right. I'm focusing on the parabola's part that is to the right of the y axis. So half of a curve rotated around the origin looks like a curvy cone.

Thanks for you guys' help, I now have the answers. Thanks!

lch7 said:
The parabola's base or curve is at the origin, the lines point up left and right. I'm focusing on the parabola's part that is to the right of the y axis. So half of a curve rotated around the origin looks like a curvy cone.

Thanks for you guys' help, I now have the answers. Thanks!

Great! :wink:

1. How do you find the surface area of a curved object using calculus?

To find the surface area of a curved object using calculus, you will need to use a mathematical formula that involves finding the integral of the function that represents the curved surface. This integral will give you the total surface area of the object.

2. What is the difference between using calculus and other methods to find surface area?

Using calculus allows for a more accurate and precise calculation of surface area compared to other methods, as it takes into account infinitesimally small changes in the surface. Other methods, such as using basic geometric shapes, may only provide an estimate of the surface area.

3. Can you give an example of finding surface area of a curved object using calculus?

For example, if you have a cone with a radius of 5 cm and a slant height of 10 cm, you can use the formula A = πrl, where r is the radius and l is the slant height. Then, you can integrate this formula using calculus to find the total surface area of the cone.

4. Is it necessary to use calculus to find surface area of a curved object?

No, it is not necessary to use calculus to find surface area of a curved object. As mentioned, other methods such as using geometric shapes can provide an estimate of the surface area. However, using calculus will give a more accurate and precise calculation.

5. Are there any limitations to using calculus to find surface area of a curved object?

One limitation of using calculus to find surface area of a curved object is that it may be more complex and time-consuming compared to other methods. Additionally, the accuracy of the calculation may also be affected by the precision of the measurements used for the curved object.