Prefer Black and White Books? What Colour Do You Like Yours?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of book preferences, specifically whether black and white or colored books are preferred. Some participants expressed a preference for black and white books, citing that color can sometimes make their eyes hurt. Others mentioned that they enjoy a mix of both, as long as the color serves a purpose, such as in scientific diagrams. There was also discussion about the use of pictures in books, with some finding them helpful for understanding concepts while others prefer to read without them. Overall, it was a lighthearted conversation about personal preferences for book formats.
Bladibla
Just a general question.

I've been reading books generally these days, whether it be general literature or science textbooks. What is strange (or not) is that i have come to prefer black and white books rather than colour books. Actually, I'd come as far to say that colour books sometimes make my eyes hurt.

What colour do you prefer your books?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm almost positive I'm not understanding something about the question What other colors are books other than black and white? Do you mean something other than the text itself?

Yeah I was wondering the same thing.

Moonbear said:
I'm almost positive I'm not understanding something about the question What other colors are books other than black and white? Do you mean something other than the text itself?

Sorry, i miswrote the question. Yeah, I am specifically talking about scientific diagrams, visual expalnation of physical processes etc.

Oh, the pictures in the books! :biggrin: I like a little of both. There are things that are easier to illustrate with some judicious use of color, but sometimes the color is overdone and serves no function. I prefer black and white unless color serves an actual function (like too many lines in a graph where different types of dashes are harder to distinguish than multiple colors).

Im one of those sore crutches who likes their books with small font and no pictures at all! just kidding hehe.

Illustrations are a good change of pace, especially if you get annoyed with The Sound and the Fury and it's blasted forever-run-on-sentences.

I like pictures when they are relevant, but an over use of pictures breaks away from the flow imo.

Some modern US textbook are full of diagrams and pictures in the margins in colored inks. Ths is supposed to help, but I'd rather they just cut to the chase. It took me years to really get into MTW's Gravitation because of the constant attempts to illustrate differential forms and such.

Yeah, black and white is all me.

i like colored pictures a lot sometimes... especially when i don't feel like actually reading. Sometimes i'll get a book and only look at the pictures, and the notes with them. when i was trying to understand the doppler effect, i didn't get it at all till i looked a picture. I can definately appreciate a good visual...

The books I tend to read start off black-and-white, and becomed colored after I apply my crayons.

1. What is the significance of preferring black and white books?

The preference for black and white books is a personal choice and does not have a specific significance. Some people find it easier to read black and white text, while others appreciate the simplicity and aesthetic of black and white illustrations.

2. Are there any studies that support the idea of black and white books being better?

There is no scientific evidence that suggests black and white books are better than books with color. However, some studies have shown that black and white illustrations can aid in the development of visual discrimination and critical thinking skills in children.

3. Do black and white books have a negative impact on reading comprehension?

No, the use of black and white does not have a negative impact on reading comprehension. In fact, many classic literature and textbooks are printed in black and white. The content and writing style of the book have a more significant impact on reading comprehension.

4. What color do you like your books?

As a scientist, my personal preference for book color does not affect my work or research. Therefore, I do not have a specific preference for the color of my books. What matters most is the quality and content of the book.

5. Are there any benefits to reading black and white books?

Reading black and white books can offer several benefits, such as improved focus and concentration, enhanced visual discrimination skills, and reduced distractions from color. Additionally, black and white books can also be more cost-effective, making them accessible to a wider audience.