Quantum entanglement (information transmitted )

In summary, quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in which particles become connected in a way that their states are correlated, even when separated by large distances. While this does not allow for the transmission of information, it does allow for the measurement of changes in the state of one particle to provide information about the state of the other. This has been demonstrated through experiments, showing that the correlations between entangled particles are not limited by the speed of light. However, the exact mechanism behind this phenomenon is still not fully understood.
shumy
Quantum entanglement (information transmitted !)

Hello,

In all information I see about quantum entanglement, it's stated that nothing travels faster than light, because no information is transmitted.

I believe that in in the experiments done, you can't detect the exact quantum state of a particle, because if you "read it" you change the state. With this statement in mind it's concluded that no information is transmitted.

What I don't understand is... if it's possible to measure a change in a quantum particle, how can this not be acceptable as information? I believe that the event of changing could be used as information, not just the state itself.

For you that know more physics than me, can you explain me what is wrong in my analysis?

Physics news on Phys.org
shumy said:
Hello,

In all information I see about quantum entanglement, it's stated that nothing travels faster than light, because no information is transmitted.

I believe that in in the experiments done, you can't detect the exact quantum state of a particle, because if you "read it" you change the state. With this statement in mind it's concluded that no information is transmitted.

What I don't understand is... if it's possible to measure a change in a quantum particle, how can this not be acceptable as information? I believe that the event of changing could be used as information, not just the state itself.

For you that know more physics than me, can you explain me what is wrong in my analysis?

Welcome to PhysicsForums, shumy!

Entangled particle pairs are in complementary states. Measuring Alice's A tells her something about Bob's B, even if B is far away. True, B is now changed. However, Bob has no way to know that Alice has observed A, nor what the result of that measurement is. In fact, Bob can measure B... But to him, there is nothing he will learn that indicates whether Alice has already made a measurement or not.

Also: For all intents and purposes, Alice and Bob's measurements yield redundant information about the entangled pair (while in the entangled state). Anything more would violate the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle.

Suppose I have two marbles, one green, one blue. We wrap them up so we don't know which color is where, then we each take one...far apart. I open my package...voila! it is green'.

What 'information' do you have ...many miles away??

none..., right??

not until we communicate.

I accept that measures are random, but if that is so, how experiments like (Bounding the speed of "spooky action at a distance" by Juan Yin) are made? If you can't mesure anything useful, how can you calculate velocities from nothing?

shumy said:
I accept that measures are random, but if that is so, how experiments like (Bounding the speed of "spooky action at a distance" by Juan Yin) are made? If you can't mesure anything useful, how can you calculate velocities from nothing?

The answer is that the correlations are discernible when the results from both sides are brought together (classically). The experiment you reference is able to see if there is any speed at which the correlations disappear, indicating a limitation to the effect. So far, at speeds up to 10,000c, nothing has been seen.

1. What is quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in which two or more particles become connected and share a state, even when they are separated by large distances. This means that any changes made to one particle will affect the other, regardless of the distance between them.

2. How does information get transmitted through quantum entanglement?

Information is transmitted through quantum entanglement by measuring the state of one particle, which then affects the state of the other particle. This process is known as quantum teleportation and allows for instantaneous communication between the entangled particles.

3. Can quantum entanglement be used for faster-than-light communication?

While quantum entanglement allows for instantaneous communication between particles, information cannot be transmitted faster than the speed of light. This is because the actual transfer of information still requires traditional methods, such as sending a message, to relay the information.

4. Is quantum entanglement useful for practical applications?

Quantum entanglement has potential applications in quantum computing, cryptography, and communication technology. However, it is still a relatively new and complex phenomenon, and more research is needed to fully understand and utilize its capabilities.

5. Can quantum entanglement be observed in everyday objects?

No, quantum entanglement is typically observed at the subatomic level and is not easily observed in everyday objects. It requires precise conditions and equipment to create and detect entangled particles. However, its effects can be seen in certain technologies, such as quantum encryption and quantum computers.