Animals and Laughter: Do Our Pets Get Our Jokes?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Animals
In summary: I can't even think it right. :tongue2:In summary, dogs and cats use facial expressions, but monkeys don't. Laughing has been around for a long time and has different purposes for different species.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I always suspected my cat got my jokes..
:biggrin:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7348880/

Studies by various groups suggest monkeys, dogs and even rats love a good laugh. People, meanwhile, have been laughing since before they could talk.

"Indeed, neural circuits for laughter exist in very ancient regions of the brain, and ancestral forms of play and laughter existed in other animals eons before we humans came along with our 'ha-ha-has' and verbal repartee," says Jaak Panksepp, a neuroscientist at Bowling Green State University...

Physics news on Phys.org
Math Is Hard said:
I always suspected my cat got my jokes..
:biggrin:
He's probably just acting polite, like the rest of us... :tongue:

Likes gracy
Thanks, Ivan, for linking the threads up. I had not seen that other article. I've always been curious about what laughter is - why people do it, but animals don't, and what purpose it serves.

Math Is Hard said:
I had not seen that other article.

The other thread is pretty old and had not been active. :smile:

smiling dog contest My dog thinks she's funny, she does something she finds amuseing and you can almost see her smirk. She also smiles.

hypatia said:
smiling dog contest My dog thinks she's funny, she does something she finds amuseing and you can almost see her smirk. She also smiles.
Ha! The disguise continues to hold...

I have seen certain breeds of dogs that smile - or at least their facial muscles certainly produce something that gives that effect. The first time I saw it was when a friend's Australian Shepherd dog smiled at me. It gave me a chill - it was totally unexpected!

My parents' neighbors have a Doberman named Vanna. Vanna smiles all the time - just loves to show her teeth. :biggrin: From what I hear she is just a big ol' love bug and gentle as a lamb. Of course it scares the heck out of anyone who comes the door because what they think they are seeing is a vicious snarling Doberman! :bugeye:

Ivan Seeking said:
The other thread is pretty old and had not been active. :smile:
I remember that thread! I had been about to start a thread about prairie dogs that were using the same means of communication, but it was so similar to your article, I didn't.

Evo said:
I had been about to start a thread about prairie dogs that were using the same means of communication
You Yanks are a little backward, aren't you? Our gophers used to whistle, but now that cell phones are small enough to fit their paws... :biggrin:

ooooh! I am going to have to get that book! Thanks for the recommendation!

Danger said:
He's probably just acting polite, like the rest of us... :tongue:

Danger, you're a riot!
That had me laughing, heh.

Knavish said:
Danger, you're a riot!
That had me laughing, heh.
I wish I could tell if that was sarcasm or not... :frown:

So much has happened since I last posted (I've actually had to work!). Evo changed her avatar again--Evo you are so pretty. :biggrin:

Okay, sort of on the topic... Once I was shopping for a birthday card and found one that said: "Muskrats don't celebrate birthdays... I say 'no' to the Muskrat way." I thought it was so funny, but no one else did.

Anyway, dogs seem to use facial expressions. Cats just don't bother much--well except when they're pissed off.

SOS2008 said:
I say 'no' to the Muskrat way."

Try saying that out loud! It's more of a tongue twister than it appears! :bugeye:

Moonbear said:
Try saying that out loud! It's more of a tongue twister than it appears! :bugeye:
Dudette, didn't you learn anything from Gale17? You're supposed to use your "internal monologue" when you read. :rofl:

Moonbear said:
It's more of a tongue twister than it appears! :bugeye:
I've played regular Twister, but this sounds more interesting...

SOS2008 said:
Dudette, didn't you learn anything from Gale17? You're supposed to use your "internal monologue" when you read. :rofl:

Okay, maybe it's a brain twister too! I can't even think it right. :tongue2:

I never believed that dog laugh story until I saw it first hand. It was Christmas eve. The cat climbed up into the xmas tree, bit a bulb and was electrocuted in front of the entire family. The dog barked and drug herself to the kitchen to feed [they do that a lot] on two legs - she had laughed her a$$ off.

Chronos said:
I never believed that dog laugh story until I saw it first hand. It was Christmas eve. The cat climbed up into the xmas tree, bit a bulb and was electrocuted in front of the entire family. The dog barked and drug herself to the kitchen to feed [they do that a lot] on two legs - she had laughed her a$$ off.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

hypatia said:
If they had a laughing dog contest, could I get away with entering my pet hyena? It's kind of a dog...

On laughter is a great book. It’s almost too good. It almost made me want to go into psychology (psychology...ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww) At least after I came to my sense and decided to major in a real science

Yes, my dog has a sense of humor about certain things and we think that we can see her smile. Like certain people, she has absolutely no sense of humor about her food. I guess that survival is in an even more basic area of the brain. Must be right next to the politics region.

Grace said:
Must be right next to the politics region.
I think that the politics part is even older. It has to go right back to the primeval ooze. I mean really, look at how slimy it is. :yuck:

1. Can animals actually understand and appreciate humor?

While it may be difficult to determine if animals experience emotions such as amusement or joy in the same way humans do, there is evidence to suggest that they can understand and respond to certain types of humor. For example, dogs have been shown to respond differently to a familiar person making a joke compared to a stranger, indicating that they may understand the difference between a serious and playful tone.

2. Do animals have a sense of humor?

It is still a topic of debate among scientists whether or not animals have a sense of humor, as it is difficult to measure and define in non-human species. However, there have been many observations of animals engaging in behaviors that resemble laughter or playfulness, suggesting that they may have a similar concept of humor as humans.

3. Can animals laugh?

While animals may exhibit behaviors that resemble laughter, such as panting or vocalizations, it is uncertain if they are actually experiencing the same emotion as humans when they laugh. It is possible that these behaviors serve other purposes, such as expressing excitement or signaling playfulness.

4. Are certain animals more likely to understand and respond to humor?

There is no clear answer to this question, as it may vary depending on individual personalities and experiences. However, some studies have shown that species that have close social bonds, such as primates and domesticated animals, may be more likely to exhibit behaviors that resemble humor.

5. Can laughter have a positive impact on animal welfare?

Research has shown that laughter and humor can have positive effects on human well-being, such as reducing stress and improving mood. While it is difficult to determine if animals experience these same benefits, creating a positive and playful environment for animals may improve their overall welfare and quality of life.