Exploring Careers in Quantum Mechanics

In summary, if you are interested in a career in quantum mechanics/quantum field theory or related fields, the best path is to become proficient in math. There may be other opportunities available, but they are likely to be limited.
Quantum3700
Over the past few weeks I have been attempting to research opportunities for specializing in quantum mechanics/quantum field theory or a related field such as particle physics. I was wondering what the best academic path would be for this field of study and what my chances are of finding a specialization involving quantum mechanics. If not, I would feel grateful if you also mentioned any related possible career choices.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
How about quantum computers - ideal for experimentalists and theoreticians!

welcome to forum
Accelerator physics is a good one.

Much of modern physics research uses quantum mechanics! So you have plenty of options.

nil1996 said:
welcome to forum
Accelerator physics is a good one.

actually, accelerator physics uses very little quantum mechanics...mostly classical EM and mechanics.

As a soon-to-be math Ph.D. who's been working in non-relativistic mathematical quantum scattering theory, the dearth of responses to this question is a little disheartening :smile: What are we to do if we don't go into academia? What industries would be looking for someone with our skills? Are there any?

AxiomOfChoice said:
As a soon-to-be math Ph.D. who's been working in non-relativistic mathematical quantum scattering theory, the dearth of responses to this question is a little disheartening :smile: What are we to do if we don't go into academia? What industries would be looking for someone with our skills? Are there any?

By definition a lot of academic research is ... academic. I am an electrical engineering PhD and I don't work in my graduate specialization at all either, so it isn't just mathematicians and physicists. You are learning how to attack hard problems, be self-guided and independent, as well as getting a deep understanding of some branch(es) of math (and in your case, some physics).

jason

AxiomOfChoice said:

In my experience, the places looking for your skills are mostly insurance and finance companies (like most math and physics phds). Its a tough sell to engineering companies.

Quantum3700, .
Please let us know your level of school.

If as I expect you are a high school student then the best thing you can do to prepare for a future in science or engineering is to become proficient in math. Take every class you can and strive to learn.

I am locking this. When you return, hit the report button to have a mod re-open the thread.

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It explains the fundamental principles of how particles interact with each other and the forces that govern their behavior.

2. What careers are available in quantum mechanics?

Careers in quantum mechanics include research positions in academia, government labs, and private companies. Other options include engineering roles in industries such as electronics, aerospace, and energy.

3. What skills are needed for a career in quantum mechanics?

A strong background in mathematics and physics is essential for a career in quantum mechanics. Other important skills include critical thinking, problem-solving, and the ability to analyze complex data and equations.

4. Is advanced education required for a career in quantum mechanics?

Most careers in quantum mechanics require at least a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field. However, for research positions or more advanced roles, a master's or doctoral degree may be necessary.

5. What is the job outlook for careers in quantum mechanics?

The job outlook for careers in quantum mechanics is very promising, as there is a growing demand for professionals with expertise in this field. With advancements in technology and research, there will be numerous opportunities for those interested in pursuing a career in quantum mechanics.