Physics Internships: Advice for Undergraduates

In summary, if you are a sophomore in college and are looking for an internship, you should focus on finding industrial research opportunities.
Yosty22
Hello all,

I am currently a sophomore in college, majoring in Physics. I am starting to look for some internships, and seem to be having a lot of trouble. Most places I have found are searching more for engineers than anything else. Although they say they are looking for engineers, I have applied for several, hoping that they at least consider a non-engineer.

I wanted to ask people who have most likely been through this what kind of things to look for. Should I continue searching for internships? If so, what type of places usually offer internships to physics undergraduates? As an undergraduate, is it better to try to find research opportunities within the University I attend rather than try to get a summer internship within a company?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yosty22 said:
Hello all,

I am currently a sophomore in college, majoring in Physics. I am starting to look for some internships, and seem to be having a lot of trouble. Most places I have found are searching more for engineers than anything else. Although they say they are looking for engineers, I have applied for several, hoping that they at least consider a non-engineer.

I wanted to ask people who have most likely been through this what kind of things to look for. Should I continue searching for internships? If so, what type of places usually offer internships to physics undergraduates? As an undergraduate, is it better to try to find research opportunities within the University I attend rather than try to get a summer internship within a company?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
From what I know being a physics major and getting an internship with a company could be relatively hard. If you manage to land it, then you increase your chances of finding a job afterwards.

However even after a couple of corporate internships, physics is not a marketable major, regardless of your uni. Less than 29% of physics graduates managed to secure full-time employment 1 year after getting a degree in recent years [http://www.aip.org/statistics/trends/reports/empinibs0910.pdf]. Many of those who managed to get a job had a good deal of useful experience unrelated to physics. With a physics degree and little programming/engineering experience you are quite unlikely to find a skilled job.

You can try to get research experience instead of an internship and aim for a graduate school in a top uni, but job prospects for physics PhDs are no better. Again less than 29% manage to find full-time on-going jobs 1 year after getting a PhD [http://www.aip.org/statistics/trends/reports/phdinitial.pdf], even though most Physics PhDs have reasonable programming and/or engineering experience.

Last edited:
Corpuscule said:
Less than 29% of physics graduates managed to secure full-time employment 1 year after getting a degree in recent years

Misleading. The statement is:

"Page 1 of this focus on stated that of the combined physics bachelor’s classes of 2009 and 2010, 60% enrolled in a graduate program and 40% entered the work force. The latter is comprised of 29% full-time employed, 6% part-time employed and 5% unemployed and seeking."

So the fraction who ended up in either the full-time workforce or in graduate school is 89%.n Three times your misleading number.

I do want to go to graduate school in the future and by the time I complete the courses I have set up for myself, I will have some programming experience (not so much engineering, mainly programming/computer science).

I have looking up some possible internships and most seem to require the applicant to be between their junior and senior year, but I will only be between my sophomore and junior year. At this stage in my collegiate career, would you recommend focusing more on ensuring that I can get some research experience at my university and hopefully get my name on some research papers while doing research through the physics department at my school and focusing on using that experience to get into graduate school?

An internship should be related to industrial research. At your university, it would be academic research. Both are good experiences.

Vanadium 50 said:
Misleading. The statement is:

"Page 1 of this focus on stated that of the combined physics bachelor’s classes of 2009 and 2010, 60% enrolled in a graduate program and 40% entered the work force. The latter is comprised of 29% full-time employed, 6% part-time employed and 5% unemployed and seeking."

So the fraction who ended up in either the full-time workforce or in graduate school is 89%.n Three times your misleading number.
I am not entirely sure if it is misleading. All people who I personally know went to a graduate school because they could not find a good job. Most of them would not go to a graduate school otherwise, at least not if they could get a nice job instead. I however acknowledge that my experience is limited, and that some physics graduates would go to a graduate school regardless.

Yosty22 said:
I do want to go to graduate school in the future and by the time I complete the courses I have set up for myself, I will have some programming experience (not so much engineering, mainly programming/computer science).

I have looking up some possible internships and most seem to require the applicant to be between their junior and senior year, but I will only be between my sophomore and junior year. At this stage in my collegiate career, would you recommend focusing more on ensuring that I can get some research experience at my university and hopefully get my name on some research papers while doing research through the physics department at my school and focusing on using that experience to get into graduate school?
If you want to go to a graduate school, then doing research in your university and getting your name on research papers is a good plan. Just keep in mind that programming skills are much more likely to get you a job compared to research papers, even after a PhD.

Last edited:
perhaps you can try some jobs about semiconductor

What are the benefits of doing a physics internship as an undergraduate?

There are several benefits to doing a physics internship as an undergraduate. First, it allows you to gain hands-on experience in a real-world setting, which can help you develop practical skills that are not taught in the classroom. Additionally, internships can help you build valuable connections and networks with professionals in the field. They can also provide you with a better understanding of the industry and help you explore potential career paths.

How can I find a physics internship?

There are several ways to find a physics internship. You can start by checking with your university's career center or department of physics to see if they have any resources or connections for internships. You can also search online job boards, company websites, or networking platforms such as LinkedIn. It may also be helpful to reach out to professors, mentors, or professionals in your field to see if they know of any available internships.

What should I look for in a physics internship?

When searching for a physics internship, there are a few key things to consider. First, make sure the internship aligns with your academic and career goals, as well as your interests. It's also important to assess the level of mentorship and support offered, the type of work you will be doing, and the potential for growth and learning. Additionally, consider the location, duration, and potential compensation or benefits of the internship.

What can I expect during a physics internship?

The specifics of a physics internship will vary depending on the company or organization, but in general, you can expect to work on real projects and tasks related to the field of physics. This may include conducting experiments, analyzing data, or assisting with research. You may also have the opportunity to shadow or work with professionals in the field, attend meetings or events, and receive feedback and mentorship from your supervisor.

How can I make the most out of my physics internship?

To make the most out of your physics internship, it's important to have a positive attitude and be proactive and engaged in your work. Take initiative and ask questions, seek out new learning opportunities, and network with professionals in the field. It's also important to maintain a good work ethic and professionalism, as internships can often lead to future job opportunities. Lastly, reflect on your experience and use it to inform your academic and career goals moving forward.