Grad School Resume - Include Poster Sessions?

In summary, the individual is applying to graduate schools in physics, applied physics, and engineering and is seeking advice on whether or not to include summer research presentations and poster sessions on their resume. They mention a particularly important poster session for the APS Division of nuclear physics and are wondering if it would be worth including. Other individuals respond that these experiences are valuable and should be included on a curriculum vitae, which is an academic resume that does not need to be limited to two pages. Poster presentations are seen as a crucial component for undergraduates trying to get into graduate school, especially if they do not have many publications.
teroenza
Hello,

I am applying to graduate schools in physics, applied physics, and engineering. On my resume, I would like to know if people feel I should include summer research (REU,SULI) presentations, and poster sessions I have attended. The most important poster session would be one for the APS Division of nuclear physics meeting that I was selected to attend.

Does anyone feel this would just be a waste of space on the resume?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
No way. That sounds like good stuff.

Ok thanks. I just didn't know if that kind of stuff was worth anything. I'll at least include the selective one.

Remember you're not submitting a "resume" as you would for a job. You're submitting a "curriculum vitae" which is an academic resume. These need not be trunctated to two pages and are meant to be a record of the relevant academic work that you've done.

Poster presentations are a critical component of this, partcularly for undergraduates trying to get into graduate school who are unlikely to have many (if any) publications under their belts.

for considering this question.

I would highly recommend including poster sessions on your grad school resume. These sessions provide valuable opportunities for you to showcase your research and present your findings to a wider audience. They also demonstrate your ability to effectively communicate scientific concepts and results, which is a crucial skill in the field of science. In addition, being selected to attend a prestigious poster session, such as the APS Division of nuclear physics meeting, is a notable achievement and should definitely be included on your resume. Overall, including poster sessions on your resume can only strengthen your application and highlight your dedication to research and scientific communication. Good luck with your graduate school applications!

1. What is a poster session and how is it different from a regular presentation?

A poster session is a type of presentation where a visual display, such as a poster, is used to communicate research findings or ideas. Unlike a regular presentation, which typically involves speaking and using slides, a poster session allows for more one-on-one interactions between the presenter and audience as they discuss the poster's content.

2. Do I need to include all of my poster sessions on my grad school resume?

It is not necessary to include all of your poster sessions on your grad school resume. Instead, focus on including the most relevant and impactful sessions that showcase your research skills and experience.

3. How should I format my poster session entries on my grad school resume?

Poster sessions should be listed as separate entries on your grad school resume, similar to how you would list presentations or publications. Include the title of the poster, the name of the conference or event, the date and location, and any co-authors or collaborators.

4. Can I include poster sessions from both undergraduate and graduate experiences on my resume?

Yes, you can include poster sessions from both undergraduate and graduate experiences on your resume. These experiences can demonstrate your research skills and growth over time.

5. How much detail should I include about my poster session on my resume?

Include enough detail about your poster session to give the reader an understanding of the research topic and your role in the project. This can include a brief summary of the findings and your contributions, as well as any awards or recognition received for the session.