Radiant energy, spectral absorption and solid angles

In summary, the conversation is about someone trying to follow a derivation but not being able to post the content due to copyright restrictions. They ask for help understanding equations 20-23, specifically the role of the logarithm and the position of dL. The expert responds by stating their understanding of the derivation and clarifying that the log comes from applying the definition of the natural logarithm. They also explain that dL is the distance from the center of the sphere to the point on the surface being measured.
mikeph
Hi
I'm trying to follow a derivation, I don't think I'm allowed to post the content (copyright) but the paper is here: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/002240739290117M. Does anyone have access to this and know a little bit about integrating over solid angles?

I've spend half a day pondering over the logic linking equations 20-23.

It seems they're defining a unit sphere and taking the intensity change over the surface to equal the change in number of photons inside the sphere. What I don't understand is:
1. where the log goes between eq. 20 and 21
2. where dL is relative to this sphere?

Thanks for any help. Very stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, I understand your confusion with the derivation. I do have access to the paper and I am familiar with integrating over solid angles. The log in equation 21 comes from applying the definition of the natural logarithm to the equation. As for the position of dL, it is the distance from the center of the sphere to the point on the surface over which the intensity is being measured. I hope this helps clarify things for you. Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What is radiant energy?

Radiant energy refers to the energy that is radiated or transmitted through space, often in the form of electromagnetic waves. It can be measured and quantified in terms of its frequency, wavelength, or photon energy.

2. What is spectral absorption?

Spectral absorption is the process in which a material absorbs certain wavelengths or frequencies of light while allowing others to pass through. This can be seen as the color of the material, as the absorbed wavelengths are not reflected back to the viewer.

3. How is spectral absorption measured?

Spectral absorption can be measured using a spectrophotometer, which measures the amount of light absorbed by a material at different wavelengths. This data is then plotted on a graph, known as an absorption spectrum, to show the specific wavelengths that are absorbed by the material.

4. What is a solid angle?

A solid angle is a measure of the amount of angular space an object or light source takes up from a specific point. It is often used in calculations involving the intensity of light or radiant energy, and is measured in steradians (sr).

5. How are radiant energy and solid angles related?

Radiant energy is often measured in terms of its intensity over a specific solid angle. This allows for a more accurate representation of the amount of energy being emitted or received by an object, as it takes into account the direction and spread of the energy. Inversely, solid angles can also be used to calculate the amount of energy received from a specific light source at a given distance.