Bombing a conductor with a stream of electrons

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of bombarding a gold foil with electrons from an external source on the current and probability density of the circuit. It is also mentioned that this process is known as Bremsstrahlung and that adding electrons to a wire does not increase its current, but rather its charge.
papernuke
Hi, I'm new to the forums, and I have a question.
Here's the scenario:
Let's say I have a circuit in a vacuum chamber with a current i, that flows through it and a constant voltage source and resistance in the circuit. One section of the circuit is a piece of gold (or any other conductor) foil with arbitrary dimensions.
What would happen if the gold foil were bombed with a stream of elections from an external source, say an electron gun? Would some electrons from the gun enter the foil and join the circuit, increasing i?
Does this have anything to do with the probability density of an electron passing through a potential barrier? In other words, does the probability that the electron is found within the potential barrier (the foil) correspond to the amount of electrons which enter the circuit?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
The electrons fired at the gold leaf will feel a repelling force from the the electrons in the gold leaf, which decelerates them, causing the electrons to emit a wide spectrum of electromagnetic waves. The process is called Bremsstrahlung (German for Braking Radiation).

Also, I think you are confusing charge and current. Adding more electrons to a wire does not increase its current, it increases its charge. Current-carrying circuits are typically uncharged on the macroscopic level - there are as much positive nuclei as negative electrons.

1. What is "bombing a conductor with a stream of electrons"?

"Bombing a conductor with a stream of electrons" is a scientific process known as electron beam bombardment. It involves directing a high-energy stream of electrons towards a conductive material in order to alter its properties or induce chemical reactions.

2. How does electron beam bombardment work?

Electron beam bombardment works by accelerating electrons to high speeds using an electron gun and then focusing them onto a target material. The high-energy electrons collide with the atoms in the material, causing them to vibrate and transfer their energy. This can lead to changes in the physical, chemical, or electrical properties of the material.

3. What are the applications of bombing a conductor with a stream of electrons?

Bombing a conductor with a stream of electrons has various applications in scientific research and industrial processes. It can be used to create thin films, etch patterns on surfaces, modify material properties, and even clean surfaces by breaking down organic contaminants.

4. What are the potential risks of electron beam bombardment?

The main risk of electron beam bombardment is the generation of high levels of heat and radiation, which can be harmful to both humans and materials. It is important to take proper safety precautions and use shielding when performing this process. Additionally, overexposure to electron beams can cause damage to electronic devices and sensitive materials.

5. Are there any alternatives to electron beam bombardment?

Yes, there are alternatives to electron beam bombardment, such as ion beam bombardment or plasma etching. These processes use different types of particles or ions to achieve similar results. However, electron beam bombardment is often preferred due to its high precision and control over the energy and direction of the electrons.