3 Phase Electric Power Question

In summary, the speaker is asking for help understanding why the power in their 3 phase power system is time varying, even though it is meant to remain constant. They mention using Mathematica to create a code and someone suggests testing it by setting all three resistors equal. The speaker realizes that the system is out of balance due to different line impedances and thanks the person, Jim, for pointing this out.
tomizzo
I have a question and am wondering if reddit can help. In a 3 phase power system, the overall total power is meant to remain constant. Now, I understand that the individual powers are meant to vary, but as a system, it is supposed to be a constant. If you could take a look at this "code" if you wish that I've created in Mathematica, it is apparent that the power is time varying. I must be doing something wrong, any help?

i1lSYMI.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
...but as a system, it is supposed to be a constant.

Are you sure that statement is true for unbalanced system?

I know nothing of 'Mathematica" , but suggest you test your code by setting all three resistors equal...

jim hardy said:
Are you sure that statement is true for unbalanced system?

I know nothing of 'Mathematica" , but suggest you test your code by setting all three resistors equal...

I see. You sir are correct. I completely forgot about the fact that three different line impedances would put the system out of balance. I set the impedance values to be equal and of course, the power remained constant.

Thanks a lot Jim!

What is 3 phase electric power?

3 phase electric power is a type of electrical power that is commonly used in industrial and commercial settings. It consists of three separate alternating currents that are out of phase with each other, meaning they reach their peak voltage at different times. This results in a more efficient and stable power supply compared to single phase power.

How is 3 phase electric power different from single phase power?

The main difference between 3 phase and single phase power is the number of alternating currents. Single phase power only has one alternating current, while 3 phase power has three. This allows 3 phase power to deliver more power and provide a more stable and balanced power supply.

What is the advantage of using 3 phase electric power?

There are several advantages to using 3 phase electric power. Firstly, it allows for more efficient power transmission and usage. The three alternating currents can be combined to deliver more power compared to a single phase system. Additionally, 3 phase power provides a more stable and balanced power supply, reducing the risk of power fluctuations and equipment damage.

What is the voltage of 3 phase electric power?

The voltage of 3 phase electric power can vary depending on the specific system and location. In North America, the standard voltage for 3 phase power is 208 volts or 480 volts. In Europe and other parts of the world, the standard voltage is 400 volts. However, the voltage can be customized based on the specific needs of the application.

How is 3 phase electric power generated?

3 phase electric power is typically generated by three separate generators that are synchronized to produce the three alternating currents. This can be done using various methods, such as using rotating magnetic fields or electronic inverters. The power is then transmitted through a three-phase power grid to the end user.