Proving Infinitely Many Solutions for u² = -1 in Quaternion Division Ring H

In summary: The quaternion division ring H has infinitely many u satisfying u^{2}=-1 provided a=0 and -b^{2}-c^{2}-d^{2}=1 and 2bicj+2bidk+2cjdk= 0. However, I do not see how 2bicj+2bidk+2cjdk= 0. Two comments: (1) You do know what the product i \cdot j is, right? And (2) -b²-c²-d²=1 can never be satisfied.Thanks for the comments.
Gtay

Homework Statement

Show that the quaternion division ring H has infinitely many u satisfying u[tex]^{2}[/tex]=-1

Homework Equations

Elements of H is of the form a.1 +bi+cj+dk where a, b, c, d in [tex]\textsl{R}[/tex] ( reals) and i[tex]^{2}[/tex]= j[tex]^{2}[/tex]= k[tex]^{2}[/tex]=ijk = -1.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let u = a.1 +bi+cj+dk then u[tex]^{2}[/tex]=a[tex]^{2}[/tex]-b[tex]^{2}[/tex]-c[tex]^{2}[/tex]-d[tex]^{2}[/tex]+2a(bi+cj+dk)+2bicj+2bidk+2cjdk and this = -1 provided a=0 and -b[tex]^{2}[/tex]-c[tex]^{2}[/tex]-d[tex]^{2}[/tex]=1 and 2bicj+2bidk+2cjdk= 0 but I do not see how 2bicj+2bidk+2cjdk= 0.

Physics news on Phys.org
Two comments:

(1) You do know what the product [itex]i \cdot j[/itex] is, right?

(2) -b²-c²-d²=1 can never be satisfied.

Thanks for the comments
(1) The product of i.j =k but this ring is not a commutative ring and so I do not have 2bicj = 2bcij=2bck.
ij=k, jk=i, ki=j, ji=-k, kj=-i, ik=-j
(2) My bad. I meant -b²-c²-d²=-1

But still, I do not see why 2bicj+2bidk+2cjdk= 0. Is there anything that I am missing here?

if its not a commutative ring then how do you have 2bicj?
Shouldnt that term then be :
i j (b*c) + j i (c*b)
If ij=-ji, and c*b=b*c then these cancel, right?

I guess the question is for your group what is [bi,cj] = ? or even {bi,cj} = ?

Yes! Thank you very much. I see it now. Poor me.

K.J.Healey said:
I guess the question is for your group what is [bi,cj] = ? or even {bi,cj} = ?

I do not know what [bi, cj] or {bi, cj} stand for.

Gtay said:
(1) The product of i.j =k but this ring is not a commutative ring and so I do not have 2bicj = 2bcij=2bck.
But fortunately, the real numbers are in the center of the ring -- a fact that is usually explicitly given by describing the quaternions as an algebra over the reals. However (unless I made an error), you can actually derive this fact from the identities given.

(I note that you already assumed this fact when you simplified bibi to -b²)

Gtay said:
I do not know what [bi, cj] or {bi, cj} stand for.

commutator and anticommutator:
[A,B] = AB-BA
{A,B} = AB+BA

1. What is a Quaternion Division Ring?

A Quaternion Division Ring is a mathematical structure that extends the concept of complex numbers by including three imaginary units, i, j, and k. It is a non-commutative division ring, which means that multiplication is not commutative and every non-zero element has a multiplicative inverse.

2. Why is it important to prove infinitely many solutions for u²=-1 in a Quaternion Division Ring?

Proving infinitely many solutions for u²=-1 in a Quaternion Division Ring is important because it solidifies the existence of a fundamental property of this mathematical structure. It also helps us better understand the behavior of complex numbers and their extensions.

3. How can we prove infinitely many solutions for u²=-1 in a Quaternion Division Ring?

The proof involves using the properties of Quaternion Division Rings, such as non-commutativity and the existence of multiplicative inverses. It also requires the use of algebraic manipulations and logical reasoning.

4. Can you give an example of a Quaternion Division Ring?

One example of a Quaternion Division Ring is the set of Hamilton's Quaternions, which includes all elements of the form a + bi + cj + dk, where a, b, c, and d are real numbers and i, j, and k are the imaginary units.

5. What implications does proving infinitely many solutions for u²=-1 have in other areas of mathematics?

This proof has implications in various areas of mathematics, such as abstract algebra, number theory, and geometry. It also helps us better understand the properties of complex numbers and their extensions, which are frequently used in physics and engineering.