What are the limit points of Q in the metric space (R,d)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of limit points in a metric space, specifically in the case where the metric space is defined as the set of real numbers with a certain distance function. The question is to find the limit points of the set of rational numbers in this metric space. The conversation includes two possible solutions - either the set of limit points is the null set or it is the entire set of real numbers - and discusses the reasoning behind these solutions. It also brings up the idea that the open intervals in this metric space are very small, leading to the conclusion that all points in \mathbb{R} are isolated points and therefore the set of limit points is the null set.
natnat_nuts

Homework Statement

I am not sure if I should post it under Calculus and Analysis but since it is for my Advanced Calculus class the I decided to do it anyways.

If the metric space (S,d) is defined as S = R (set of real numbers) and d(x,y) = 0 if x=y and d(x,y) = 1 if x is not equal to y, find the limit points of A if A = Q (set of rational numbers). Based on my notes, the answer is Q but I don't seem to get it.

Note: a point x element of S is a limit point of A if every open ball B(x,r) for r>0 (that is, an open ball or open interval that has center x and radius r) contains a point y element of A other than x.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer is either {} null set or R. If I take a rational number x to be the center of an open interval, by property of real numbers, I can always find at least one rational number not equal to x that is within the open interval no matter how small or big the interval is. Therefore, all rational numbers are limit points and they are in the distance of 1 from each other provided that they are not equal. But following this logic also means that if the center is an irrational number say y, then I can always find a rational number within the open interval no matter how small or big the interval is. Therefore, R is the derived set or the set of limit points.

On the other hand, I am also thinking that if the distance is 1 if the numbers are not equal and 0 if they are equal mean that all Q are isolated points and therefore the set of limit points is null set.

Physics news on Phys.org
natnat_nuts said:
My answer is either {} null set or R. If I take a rational number x to be the center of an open interval, by property of real numbers, I can always find at least one rational number not equal to x that is within the open interval no matter how small or big the interval is. Therefore, all rational numbers are limit points and they are in the distance of 1 from each other provided that they are not equal. But following this logic also means that if the center is an irrational number say y, then I can always find a rational number within the open interval no matter how small or big the interval is. Therefore, R is the derived set or the set of limit points.

This reasoning is based on that the open intervals are the balls of the metric. And this is true if the metric is d(x,y)=|x-y|.

But here, the balls are a lot smaller. For example: B(x,1/2)={x}, so the singletons are open sets. What does that mean for the limit points?

does that mean that the set of limit points of A is {} null set since the singletons do not have other elements other than x?

natnat_nuts said:
does that mean that the set of limit points of A is {} null set since the singletons do not have other elements other than x?

Yes, it would be the null set. All points in [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] are isolated points with that metric.

1. What is a limit point in mathematics?

A limit point, also known as an accumulation point, is a point in a set where every neighborhood of the point contains infinitely many other points from the set.

2. How do you find the limit points of a set?

To find the limit points of a set, you can use the definition of a limit point, which states that every neighborhood of the point must contain infinitely many other points from the set. You can also use the concept of convergent sequences to identify limit points.

3. Why are limit points important in mathematics?

Limit points are important in mathematics because they help us understand the behavior and properties of a set. They also play a crucial role in the definitions and proofs of concepts such as continuity, compactness, and connectedness.

4. Can a set have more than one limit point?

Yes, a set can have more than one limit point. In fact, a set can have infinitely many limit points, depending on the properties and structure of the set.

5. Are limit points and boundary points the same thing?

No, limit points and boundary points are not the same thing. A boundary point is a point that is neither in the interior nor in the exterior of a set, while a limit point is a point within a set. However, a boundary point can also be a limit point if it satisfies the definition of a limit point.