Optics-Lenses - image outside the mirror?

In summary, the conversation discusses the formation of images in a diagram involving a plane mirror and a convex lens. The images formed are a virtual image behind the mirror and a real image in front of the mirror. The concept of a virtual image and the role of the lens in creating a real image are also explained.
Giuliaa
Optics-Lenses -- image outside the mirror?

A question in my book asks what are the images formed in this diagram:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/80147355@N05/7362964734/sizes/m/in/photostream/

I thought there was only one, inside the mirror. But it turns out that there is another one, outside the mirror: http://www.flickr.com/photos/80147355@N05/7362964678/sizes/m/in/photostream/

I don't get it. How can a thing inside a mirror create an image in midair??

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org

Giuliaa said:
A question in my book asks what are the images formed in this diagram:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/80147355@N05/7362964734/sizes/m/in/photostream/

I thought there was only one, inside the mirror. But it turns out that there is another one, outside the mirror: http://www.flickr.com/photos/80147355@N05/7362964678/sizes/m/in/photostream/

I don't get it. How can a thing inside a mirror create an image in midair??

You must know that plane mirrors can reflect light (most of) and convex lenses converges the beam to a point (due to refraction). In your diagram , the first image A'B' is formed by refraction of light through convex lens , behind the mirror which is a virtual image . Some of the light energy in the system is also REFLECTED by the plane mirror , shown in diagram by three rays of light which ACTUALLY intersects at a point B'' forming a real image A''B''.

Note that there will be another image i.e. 3rd image (virtual) by first ray and ray AA' but will be so blurred that you'll not be able to see it. Hence its neglected. (Because the resultant energy in the system will be very negligible.)

Last edited by a moderator:

This article may help in understanding what a virtual image is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_image

The focal point outside the mirror is where the light actual focuses at. Holding a piece of paper or something at that point will let you see the object in view. The image inside or behind the mirror is a virtual image.

A real object will have a virtual image behind a mirror (as we all were taught at School). A real image, projected by a lens, that 'would have been formed' behind a mirror (if the mirror hadn't been there) will be formed as a real image in front of the mirror. This is something that can only be done with a lens as you can't, of course, stick an object behind a mirror and expect a result. :smile:

The images formed in the diagram are known as virtual images. These are formed when light rays appear to be coming from a point behind the mirror, rather than actually being reflected from that point. In this case, the virtual image is formed outside the mirror due to the curvature of the lens. This phenomenon is known as refraction, where light bends as it passes through a medium with a different density. The lens in this diagram is curved in a way that causes the light rays to converge and form a virtual image outside the mirror. This is a common occurrence in optics and is used in many applications, such as in cameras and telescopes. It may seem counterintuitive, but with the right conditions, a virtual image can be formed outside of a mirror or lens.

1. How does a lens form an image outside the mirror?

A lens forms an image outside the mirror by refracting light rays that enter the lens from an object. The lens bends the light rays and converges them at a point, which creates an inverted image of the object.

2. What is the difference between a convex and concave lens?

A convex lens is thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges, whereas a concave lens is thinner in the middle and thicker at the edges. A convex lens converges light rays, while a concave lens diverges them.

3. How does the focal length of a lens affect the image formed outside the mirror?

The focal length of a lens determines the distance between the lens and the point where the light rays converge. A shorter focal length creates a more magnified image, while a longer focal length creates a smaller image.

4. Can a lens form a virtual image outside the mirror?

Yes, a lens can form a virtual image outside the mirror. A virtual image is formed when the light rays do not actually converge at a point, but appear to diverge from a point behind the lens. This is typically seen with convex lenses when the object is placed within the focal length of the lens.

5. How does the position of an object affect the image formed by a lens outside the mirror?

The position of an object in relation to the lens affects the size and orientation of the image formed outside the mirror. Placing the object closer to the lens creates a larger and more inverted image, while placing the object farther away creates a smaller and less inverted image.