Hole conduction vs electron conduction

In summary, the understanding of how hole conduction works has been challenged, as the idea of the hole being an absence of an electron does not account for the positive hall coefficient measured in some metals. Instead, the hole should be viewed as a transport of positive particles in the same direction as the real negative current. This is due to the fact that the top valence bond electrons have a negative effective mass, causing them to move opposite to the electric field. However, this does not mean that the current flow is opposite for hole and electron conduction, as the holes are carriers of positive current and have a positive effective mass, resulting in the same direction of current flow for both electrons and holes.
aaaa202
So recently I took a blow to my understanding of how hole conduction works. Like many others I had the idea that the hole i just an absence of an electron and when it moves the collection of electrons move opposite direction of it like in the analogy where the electron hole is an empty seat in an otherwise filled row of seats in an auditorium.
This simple picture simply cannot be right because it would not account for the positive hall coefficient measured for some metals. Rather ti account for the positive hall coefficient picture must be to view the hole as a transport of positive particles in the same direction as the real negative current. But already saying that seems weird. How do you explain hole conduction?
I mean I hope you can appreaciate my argument that you can't simply say that the current flow is opposite to that of the hole. It all boils down to the fact that the top valence bond electrons have a negative effective mass. So their response to the field is to move opposite it. That led me to the auditorium analogy where I thought that the current actually moves opposite for hole and electron conduction. But that would also be too weird since the effective mass is something that only makes sense to talk about inside the crystal and of course this would not amount to actually measuring a current in the circuit opposite to that of the electric field.

Physics news on Phys.org
So the answer must be that the holes are actually carriers of positive current and they have a positive effective mass so their response to the field is the same direction as the electrons. This means that the hall coefficient will be positive for both electrons and holes, and it also explains why the current flows in the same direction for both electrons and holes.

1. What is the difference between hole conduction and electron conduction?

Hole conduction refers to the movement of positively charged particles (holes) in a material, while electron conduction refers to the movement of negatively charged particles (electrons) in a material. This difference is due to the absence or presence of electrons in the valence band of the material, which determines whether holes or electrons are responsible for conducting electricity.

2. Which type of conduction is more common in metals?

Electron conduction is more common in metals, as they have a high number of free electrons in their valence band that can easily move and conduct electricity. This is why metals are generally good conductors of electricity.

3. Can both hole and electron conduction occur in the same material?

Yes, both hole and electron conduction can occur in the same material. In some materials, such as semiconductors, both types of charge carriers can contribute to the overall conductivity of the material.

4. How does temperature affect hole and electron conduction?

As temperature increases, both hole and electron conduction increase. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy for the charge carriers to move and overcome any barriers in the material. However, the effect of temperature on hole and electron conduction can vary depending on the specific material and its properties.

5. What are some real-world applications of hole and electron conduction?

Hole and electron conduction are essential in a variety of technologies, such as transistors, solar cells, and microchips. They also play a crucial role in the functioning of electronic devices, such as computers and smartphones. In addition, understanding these types of conduction is necessary for developing new materials and improving existing technologies.