Exploring the Mystery of the Dirac Delta Function

In summary, the Dirac Delta function is a distribution, not a regular function, and it is represented in different ways such as a limit of a sequence of functions or as the derivative of the Heaviside step function. It has properties such as the sampling property and the area under the curve being equal to 1. Its existence and definition can be explained through taking the limit of a sequence of functions with one peak and defining it to be the Dirac Delta function. The Dirac Delta function is useful in integration against test functions, and it is sometimes referred to as the derivative of the Heaviside step function.
Cincinnatus
I've recently come across this function in one of my science classes and am wondering were this identity comes from:
[tex]\displaystyle{\int{\delta(t-\tau)f(\tau)d\tau}=f(t)} [/tex]
Where [tex]\delta(t)[/tex] is the dirac delta function and f(t) is any (continuous?) function.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You only know how to deal with dirac deltas of the form [itex]\int \delta(x) g(x) \, dx[/itex], right? Well, there is an obvious substitution to try...

Are you familiar with the properties of the Dirac delta function? This one is called the sampling property.
Its comes from the fact that for any continuous function [itex]f(t)[/itex], the multiplication with the Dirac delta function yields
[itex]f(t) \delta (t-t_0) = f(t_0) \delta(t-t_0)[/itex]

Also the area under the curve of the Dirac Delta function is 1.

[itex]\int_a^b f(t) \delta (t-t_0) dt = f(t_0) \int_a^b \delta (t-t_0) dt= f(t_0)[/itex]

for [itex]a < t_0 < b[/itex]

Actually, I don't know how to work with dirac deltas of any form...

My professor just did some hand-waving about taking the limit of a sequence of functions with one peak and defining this to be the dirac delta function. Then he quoted the two properties we needed and proceeded. (This was one of them)

Things I am not sure about:
1). What is meant by the "limit of a seqence of functions"?
2). How do we know this limit exists?
3). How do we know it is a function... is it a function?

Delta function is represented in several ways. For example

[tex]\delta(x) = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac {\sin nx} {\pi x}[/tex]
[tex]\delta(x) = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac n {\sqrt\pi} \exp(-(nx)^2)[/tex]

It looks like [tex]\delta(0)=\infty[/tex], but actually you can integrate this function [tex]-\infty \rightarrow \infty[/tex]

Last edited:
I know that the delta function can be represented in that way, my question is perhaps "what is special about those functions that causes their limit to be a function?"

Certainly it is not true in general that the limit of a sequence of functions would be a function. (consider the limit as n-->oo of f(x)=nx. This would be a "function" with a vertical line for a graph, i.e. not a function at all).

Last edited:
Cincinnatus said:
I know that the delta function can be represented in that way, my question is perhaps "what is special about those functions that causes their limit to be a function?"

It isn't a function, at least in the sense of a map from R to R that you're used to. It is properly called a distribution, not a function. Think of it as an operator which when put inside an integral does something nice.

The problem is the odd way applied maths abuses the word function, not in your understanding.

It is bizzarely often called the derivative of the Heaviside step function which at least is a function though not a differentiable one (0 for x<=0, 1 for x>0)

matt grime said:
It is bizzarely often called the derivative of the Heaviside step function which at least is a function though not a differentiable one (0 for x<=0, 1 for x>0)

There is a natural injection from the space of functions that can be integrated against test functions [**] into the space of distributions. When considered as distributions, the derivative of the Heaviside step function is the Dirac distribution.

[**] This is the inspiration for the fictional, but extremely useful, integral notation for the Dirac distribution.

Regards,
George

1. What is the Dirac Delta Function?

The Dirac Delta Function, also known as the impulse function, is a mathematical function used in the field of mathematics and physics to represent a point mass or spike at a specific location.

2. How is the Dirac Delta Function defined?

The Dirac Delta Function is defined as a function that is zero everywhere except at a single point, where it is infinite. The area under the curve of the function is equal to one.

3. What are the properties of the Dirac Delta Function?

The Dirac Delta Function has two main properties: 1) it is zero everywhere except at x=0, and 2) the area under the curve is equal to one. It also has the sifting property, which states that when the function is integrated over any interval that includes the point where it is non-zero, the result is equal to the value of the function at that point.

4. How is the Dirac Delta Function used in physics?

The Dirac Delta Function is used in physics to model and analyze systems with point masses or impulses, such as collisions, point charges, and point loads. It is also used in Fourier analysis to represent signals and in quantum mechanics to represent wavefunctions.

5. What are some examples of the Dirac Delta Function in real-world applications?

The Dirac Delta Function has various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and signal processing. Some examples include modeling the response of a bridge to a single point load, analyzing the impact of a bullet on a target, and representing the spectral content of a signal in Fourier analysis.