Can space travel fast than C?

In summary, a discussion took place about whether space can travel faster than the speed of light. It was mentioned that according to Relativity, there are no constraints on the speed of space itself. Some participants suggested that this may refer to the Inflationary Epoch and the expansion of space at that time. Others argued that space does not travel and is simply a medium for matter and photons to travel in. It was also suggested that parts of the universe may be moving away from us faster than the speed of light due to the expansion of space. However, it was noted that this is not the same as something actually traveling faster than the speed of light. The concept of a "moving vacuum" was also discussed, with some participants pointing out that it
Chaos' lil bro Order
Greetings,

I was watching a video lecture by Alex Filipenko of Berkeley's Astronomy Dept. and I was shocked to hear him say that space can travel faster than C, because Relativity doesn't put contraints on the speed of space itself. Does anyone have any insight on this for me please? I'm gathering that he may have been referring to the Inflationary Epoch and space's expansion at that time, but it wasn't clear from the lecture.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
No - I think he was referring to cosmic expansion - different parts of the universe may be moving at greater than c relative to each other -

Also special relativity (and hence the speed limit of c) holds only in local frames, not global ones.

More replies please, these are good so far but not conclusive.

Also, is there any theory on how fast space expanded during Inflation?

Chaos' lil bro Order said:
I was watching a video lecture by Alex Filipenko of Berkeley's Astronomy Dept. and I was shocked to hear him say that space can travel faster than C, because Relativity doesn't put contraints on the speed of space itself. Does anyone have any insight on this for me please? I'm gathering that he may have been referring to the Inflationary Epoch and space's expansion at that time, but it wasn't clear from the lecture.
As far as I know, space does not travel - it simply exists - and matter and photons travel in the space. If one is referring to the movement of the 'boundary' or 'edge' of the universe or space, I am afraid we do not know.

I can't see that saying space can travel faster than c makes any sense.

One could also say space is at absolute zero, because it has not temperature! The matter and photons in space have temperature.:rolleyes:

It is entirely possible that parts of our universe are forever cut off from us because they are moving away faster than c. How are they doing this, when we know nothing can travel faster than c? Because nothing *is* traveling faster than c - the space between us and those other parts of the universe is expanding faster than c. Relativity does not preclude this.

My idea, to be demonstrated, is that light is not traveling but it is just transported by the space, it rides the space, so the space max speed is C.

I would think that relative to one another, two points' speed could approach 2C. Whether these two points are points in space or two objects in space, if each is approaching C in opposite directions relatively their speed would be the sum of their speeds.

Also, in assuming space can even 'travel', space has no mass, so why not?

scavokrj said:
I would think that relative to one another, two points' speed could approach 2C. Whether these two points are points in space or two objects in space, if each is approaching C in opposite directions relatively their speed would be the sum of their speeds.

Also, in assuming space can even 'travel', space has no mass, so why not?

It can't exist an observer that measures 2C, if he is in point A he see point B moving away at C, if he is in point B the same with A. If he is in point C he see both A and B moving at C but can't measure the relative speed of A with B.

one other thing, it is meaningless to conceive of a vacuum moving at any speed at all. we cannot tell the difference between a "moving vacuum" and a "stationary vacuum". this is why any inertial reference frame is just as good as any other and then why in any of these inertial frames, that the measured speed of E&M must be no different than any other.

I smell aether in this discussion...

rbj said:
one other thing, it is meaningless to conceive of a vacuum moving at any speed at all. we cannot tell the difference between a "moving vacuum" and a "stationary vacuum". this is why any inertial reference frame is just as good as any other and then why in any of these inertial frames, that the measured speed of E&M must be no different than any other.

I think that vacuum doesn't exist. All we measure , observe, are different forms of energy, and the space as well.

I was in that class with Alex, and I asked him about it. He's referring to the expansion of the universe.

The answer given by DaveC426913 is the correct answer. I'd like to remind all of you that speculation and personal theories are not welcome here.

Thread closed.

- Warren

1. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the ultimate speed limit in the universe. Nothing with mass can travel faster than the speed of light.

2. Why is the speed of light considered the ultimate speed limit?

The speed of light is considered the ultimate speed limit because as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely and it would require an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it further.

3. Can space travel faster than the speed of light?

No, space itself is not an object and does not have mass, so it cannot travel at any speed. However, objects within space can travel close to the speed of light, but not faster.

4. Is it possible to break the speed of light barrier?

No, based on our current understanding of physics, it is not possible to break the speed of light barrier. Even if an object were to reach the speed of light, it would require an infinite amount of energy to go beyond it.

5. Can the laws of physics be changed to allow for faster-than-light travel?

It is highly unlikely that the laws of physics can be changed to allow for faster-than-light travel. These laws are fundamental principles that have been proven through various experiments and observations. However, advancements in technology and scientific understanding may one day lead to new possibilities in space travel.