What is the correct procedure for calculating energy change to form KI(s)?

In summary, The procedure for finding the energy change of 1.05 mol of KI(s) involves considering the energy changes for the reactions of I2(s) to I2(g), K(s) to K(g), 1/2 I2(g) to I(g), K+(g) + e- to K(g), and I-(g) to I(g) + e-, as well as the lattice energy for KI. However, it is important to check the iodine stoichiometry to ensure the correct answer is obtained.
tangents
Hello all I just need to know if the procedure I'm taking is right.

I need to find energy change of 1.05 Mol of KI(s) given that:

I2(s) → I2(g) : 62.44 KJ/mol
K(s) → K(g) : 180.4 KJ/mol
1/2 I2(g) → I(g) : 138.05 KJ/mol
K+(g) + e− → K(g) : −419 KJ/mol
I−(g) → I(g) + e− : 295.16 KJ/mol
Lattice energy for KI = −649 KJ/mol

I tried adding all the values and then multiplying by 1.05 mol but that doesn't seem to work so then what I did was multiply 1.05 by the lattice energy and then add up all the values but I still am not getting the correct answer. There is a diagram in my text and I followed every step yet am I doing something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
tangents said:
still am not getting the correct answer.
Check the iodine stoichiometry.

1. What is the chemical reaction involved in forming KI(s)?

The chemical reaction involved in forming KI(s) is the combination of potassium (K) and iodine (I) atoms to form potassium iodide (KI) molecules. This is a synthesis reaction in which two or more substances combine to form a new compound.

2. How does the energy change during the formation of KI(s)?

The formation of KI(s) involves an energy change known as the enthalpy change. This change can either be exothermic, meaning the reaction releases energy, or endothermic, meaning the reaction absorbs energy. In the case of KI(s), the energy change is exothermic, as energy is released during the formation of the compound.

3. What factors affect the energy change in the formation of KI(s)?

The energy change in the formation of KI(s) is affected by the types of atoms involved in the reaction, the bond energies of the atoms, and the overall stability of the resulting compound. The energy change can also be influenced by external factors such as temperature and pressure.

4. How is the energy change measured in the formation of KI(s)?

The energy change in the formation of KI(s) is typically measured in units of joules (J) or kilojoules (kJ). This can be done experimentally by measuring the heat released or absorbed during the reaction using a calorimeter. Alternatively, the energy change can also be calculated using thermodynamic equations and data.

5. What practical applications are there for the energy change in the formation of KI(s)?

The energy change in the formation of KI(s) has several practical applications. For example, it is used in the production of photographic film and as a source of iodine in the medical industry. Additionally, the energy change can be harnessed for various industrial processes, such as the production of fertilizers and dyes.