Simulate a Working Model with Sodaplay Software

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of simulating and creating real working models of dynamic systems like the ones seen on www.sodaplay.com and www.strandbeest.com. The use of Finite Element Analysis (FEA) software is suggested, with recommendations for both free and paid versions. The website http://homepage.usask.ca/~ijm451/finite/fe_resources/node139.html is recommended for a comprehensive list of FEA software options. The use of Elmer, a free and multi-platform FEA software with a user-friendly interface, is also suggested. It is noted that many of the listed freeware options can compete with commercial software in their specific fields of application.
Shahil
www.sodaplay.com[/URL]

[url]www.strandbeest.com[/url]

Sure u guys saw these .. my question .. is there any software available to simulate stuff like this with the view to make a real, working model?

Thanks guys ..

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Sure, most FEA software is easily capable of simulating such systems.

:smile:

Thanks for that .. haven't come across FEA software before. I googled and wiki'd it and I think it will work.

Do u have any suggested programs that I should use: Both free and paid versions. I'm kinda new to this field and hence, don't have much knowledge as to what program to use!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finite_Element_Method

... links to internet FE resources, which has a pretty complete software list:

http://homepage.usask.ca/~ijm451/finite/fe_resources/node139.html

... if you've access to some commercial software they're usually pretty "straightforward" (well ... :biggrin: ) to use (like Abaqus, Ansys,...), other than that, from that list might recommend for example Elmer (from guys down the street):

http://www.csc.fi/elmer/download/ [Broken]

which runs on many platforms and you can work with a decent GUI (which is the biggest limitation of most free/shareware).

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a pretty neat source for a shareware. Thanks Perennial.

... occasionally being "cheap" with licensing fees has its infinitesimal benefits :biggrin: , you're welcome. Although I use quite several of those listed even under freeware in my 'real' work (many are freeware due to their funding background, and in many cases can successfully compete with the "big players" of the FEA market in their specific field(s) of application).

Thanks guys ... :biggrin:

1. How does Sodaplay software simulate a working model?

Sodaplay software is a physics-based modeling tool that uses a unique algorithm to simulate the movements and interactions of objects in a virtual environment. It allows users to design and build their own models using a variety of tools and materials, and then run simulations to see how the model would behave in the real world.

2. What types of models can be created with Sodaplay software?

Sodaplay software is versatile and can be used to create a variety of models, including mechanical models, biological systems, and even abstract art. The possibilities are endless, and users are only limited by their imagination.

3. Is any prior knowledge or experience required to use Sodaplay software?

No, Sodaplay software is designed to be user-friendly and intuitive, making it accessible to people of all ages and backgrounds. However, some basic understanding of physics and mechanics can be helpful in creating more advanced models.

4. Can Sodaplay software be used for educational purposes?

Yes, Sodaplay software is a great tool for teaching and learning about physics and other scientific concepts. It allows students to visualize and experiment with different concepts in a fun and interactive way, making it a valuable learning tool for classrooms.

5. Is Sodaplay software available for all operating systems?

Yes, Sodaplay software is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems, making it accessible to a wide range of users. It can also be accessed online through a web browser, making it convenient for users who do not want to download the software.