Ok, so now how do you separate this one?

• Thread starter prace
  • Start date
In summary, Daniel is trying to solve a DE but does not know how to start. He gets a hint from another person. He tries dividing the numerator and denominator using long division and does not get very far. He gets a hint from another person and solves the problem using a systematic approach.
prace
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{xy+3x-y-3}{xy-2x+4y-8}[/tex]

I want to solve this DE using the separation technique. Any ideas on how to start?

And just for myself, and maybe anyone else. Is there a sort of systematic approach to finding out how to start these problems? It seems like I will work a few no problem, then get to one and just stare for awhile. Maybe if there was some sort of method to the madness, then it might make things easier. Just a thought.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Factor...

umm... Sorry if this sounds lame, but I don't see what I am to factor here.

the numerator and denominator.

Could you please be a little more specific? Do you mean just divide the two using long division? Hmmm... ok, I will try that and see if I can get to something. Thanks.

ok, so I tried it and I got [tex]1+\frac{5(x-y+1)}{xy-2x+4y-8}[/tex] which does not seem to help me out too much.

The form of both the numerator and the denominator do look a little suspicious. Is there a way to factor them like we can for a problem in the form [tex]ax^2 + bx + c[/tex]?

He said "factor" meaning [itex] xy-3+3x-y=(x-1)(y+3) [/itex].

Is that a better hint ?

Daniel.

prace said:
Could you please be a little more specific?
Factor the numerator and factor the denominator. Isn't that exactly what I said?

AKG said:
Factor the numerator and factor the denominator. Isn't that exactly what I said?

Yes you did AKG, sorry about that. I just did not see how to factor them. I guess I am not very strong with my factoring and it was not very clear to me.

Thanks for the hint Daniel, that will help me out a lot.

Ok, going to go and work this out now!

1. How do you determine which method to use for separation?

The method for separation will depend on the specific properties of the substances in the mixture. Some common methods include filtration, distillation, chromatography, and centrifugation.

2. What is the purpose of separating a mixture?

The purpose of separation is to isolate and purify individual substances from a mixture in order to study or use them separately. This is important in various industries, such as pharmaceuticals, chemicals, and environmental science.

3. What equipment is needed for separation?

The equipment needed will also depend on the method of separation chosen. Some common equipment includes beakers, funnels, separatory funnels, distillation columns, and chromatography columns.

4. Can separation be done quickly?

The speed of separation will vary depending on the method used and the complexity of the mixture. Some methods, like filtration, can be done relatively quickly, while others, like distillation, may take longer.

5. What factors can affect the success of separation?

Several factors can affect the success of separation, such as the physical and chemical properties of the substances, the equipment and method used, and the skill and experience of the person performing the separation.