Static Equilibrium: Max Distance of Top Brick Beyond Table Edge

In summary, the problem asks for the maximum distance that the top brick can extend beyond the edge of a table without tipping, given two identical bricks stacked on top of each other. The solution involves considering the center of mass and arranging the bricks in a way that maximizes the overhang of the top brick. No specific equations are needed to solve this problem.
future_vet

Homework Statement

Consider two identical bricks, each of dimensions 20.0 cm x 10.0 cm x 6.0 cm. One is stacked on the other, and the combination is then placed so that they project over the edge of a table. What is the maximum distance that the top brick can extend beyond the table edge without tipping?

Homework Equations

I don't really know...

The Attempt at a Solution

I would say at 10 cm, because that's where the center of gravity is. But it sounds too simple to be true... =/

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It does sound too simple, are you sure that the two bricks are alligned edge to edge? Could one extend beyond the other?

No.. they are one on top of the other... I guess I'll just keep 10 as the answer.

Thanks!

I highly doubt that the bricks are aligned with each other--kind of a pointless problem in that case, since the answer would not depend on the number of bricks. I would assume, as bdrosd suggested, that one brick can extend beyond the other.

Now to solve this, use the same reasoning that you used with one brick, only apply it twice. The center of mass is key. Hint: Start with the top brick and work your way down.

I don't think they are aligned either. It says how far can the top brick can extend beyond the table edge without tipping, which to me would suggest that the lower brick doesn't move.

I'd say you can arrange both bricks anyway you want to maximize the overhang of the top brick with respect to the table edge.

So what was the correct answer because I have the same question and I don't Know how to solve it ..really need help!

Kaal said:
So what was the correct answer because I have the same question and I don't Know how to solve it ..really need help!
Give it a try. Several hints were given in this thread. (Try it with one brick first.)

1. What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is a state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no net acceleration. In other words, the object is not moving or rotating.

2. What is the max distance of the top brick beyond the table edge in static equilibrium?

The maximum distance of the top brick beyond the table edge in static equilibrium depends on the distribution of weight and the location of the center of mass of the brick. It is the point at which the downward force of gravity on the brick is balanced by the upward forces acting on it.

3. How is the max distance of the top brick beyond the table edge calculated?

The max distance is calculated by using the principle of moments, which states that the sum of the clockwise moments is equal to the sum of the counterclockwise moments. This allows us to determine the position at which the forces are balanced.

4. What factors affect the max distance of the top brick beyond the table edge?

The factors that affect the max distance include the weight and distribution of weight of the brick, the location of the center of mass, and the angle at which the brick is placed on the table.

5. Why is it important to calculate the max distance of the top brick beyond the table edge in static equilibrium?

Calculating the max distance is important because it allows us to determine the stability of the brick and whether it will remain in a state of static equilibrium. It also helps us understand the relationship between forces, moments, and balance in a real-life scenario.