Why Does NH3 Form Complex Ions with Transition Elements But NH4 Does Not?

• Thread starter amesalot57
  • Start date
In summary, NH3, or ammonia, is a molecule that acts as a ligand in transition complexes by binding to a central metal atom or ion. It coordinates with transition metals by donating its lone pair of electrons to form a coordinate covalent bond. The geometry of a transition metal complex with NH3 as a ligand can be either tetrahedral or octahedral. The strength of the bond between NH3 and the transition metal greatly affects the properties of the complex. NH3 can be replaced by other ligands in transition complexes through ligand substitution, depending on the strength of the bond between the original ligand and the metal atom.
amesalot57
I am taking this correspondence course, i ran into this question and I think i know the answer but I'm not sure.
Why is it that NH3 readily forms complex ions with the transition elements but NH4 does not?
I think it is because of the extra bond with Hydrogen, therefore there is less unpaired d electrons but I'm not sure.

Chemistry news on Phys.org

You are on the right track with your answer. NH3 readily forms complex ions with transition elements because it has a lone pair of electrons that can be donated to the metal ion to form a coordinate bond. This results in the formation of a stable complex ion. On the other hand, NH4 does not have a lone pair of electrons and therefore cannot form coordinate bonds with transition elements. This makes it less likely for NH4 to form complex ions with transition elements. Additionally, the presence of the extra bond with hydrogen in NH4 makes it less likely for it to form complex ions as it already has a strong bond with the hydrogen atom.

1. What is NH3 and what is its role in transition complexes?

NH3, or ammonia, is a molecule made up of one nitrogen atom and three hydrogen atoms. In transition complexes, it acts as a ligand, meaning it binds to a central metal atom or ion and helps stabilize the complex.

2. How does NH3 coordinate with transition metals?

NH3 has a lone pair of electrons on the nitrogen atom, which it can donate to the transition metal. This forms a coordinate covalent bond, with the metal acting as an electron acceptor and the NH3 acting as an electron donor.

3. What is the geometry of a transition metal complex with NH3 as a ligand?

The geometry of a transition metal complex with NH3 as a ligand can vary depending on the number of NH3 molecules present. In general, the NH3 molecules will arrange themselves around the central metal atom in a symmetrical manner, resulting in either a tetrahedral or octahedral geometry.

4. How does the strength of the bond between NH3 and the transition metal affect the properties of the complex?

The strength of the bond between NH3 and the transition metal can greatly impact the properties of the complex. A stronger bond will result in a more stable complex, while a weaker bond may lead to easier dissociation of the ligand and the metal atom.

5. Can NH3 be replaced by other ligands in transition complexes?

Yes, NH3 can be replaced by other ligands in transition complexes. This is known as ligand substitution, and it occurs when a different ligand binds to the metal atom, displacing the original ligand. The ease of substitution depends on the strength of the bond between the original ligand and the metal atom.