Projectile Motion: Finding Time

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties the person is facing in solving projectile motion problems where the time is not given. They provide their attempts at solving the problem and mention that they have failed multiple tests and assignments due to incorrect timing. The general approach to solving these problems is also mentioned.
degrass1fan

Homework Statement

Ok, so I'm having a lot of trouble finding time when it is not given in a projectile motion problem. Here's what I have set up:

X
A=O
Vi=100.0
VF=100.0
D=?
T=?

Y
A=-9.8
Vi=O
Vf=?
D=8848m
T=?

Homework Equations

Distance(d=1/2at2=vit)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, here's where my problem is, I can never get the time right. I have failed 2 tests and numerous homework assigments because something is wrong. Here's my attempt at it:

8848=1/2(-9.8)t2

I divide both sides by 8848 then square root it.

I ALWAYS get the wrong time and in turn that gives me the wrong distance and in turn I fail the test.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The general idea to the projectile motion problems is:

1. Find time using the relationship of displacement in the y-direction.
2. FInd displacement in the x-direction x= v*t keeping in mind that in the x direction the velocity will be constant.

Now in this particular case i believe that you only have to worry about the first step.

y = .5 gt^2 => t = sqrt(2y/g)

How do I fix this?

I understand your frustration with finding time in projectile motion problems. It can be a tricky concept to grasp, but with practice and understanding of the equations involved, you can improve your accuracy in solving these types of problems.

First, it is important to note that there are two types of projectile motion problems: those with a known initial velocity (Vi) and those with a known final velocity (Vf). In the first problem you presented, Vi=100.0 m/s, but in the second problem, Vi=0 m/s. This makes a significant difference in how you approach the problem.

In the first problem, you can use the equation d=Vit+1/2at^2 to solve for time (t). Rearranging the equation, you get t=(d-Vit)/1/2a. Plugging in the given values, you get t=(0-100.0t)/1/2(-9.8). Simplifying, you get t=20.41 seconds.

In the second problem, you can use the equation Vf=Vi+at to solve for time (t). Again, rearranging the equation, you get t=(Vf-Vi)/a. Plugging in the given values, you get t=(0-100.0)/-9.8. Simplifying, you get t=10.20 seconds.

It is important to pay attention to the given values and use the appropriate equation to solve for time. In addition, it is always helpful to double check your calculations and make sure your units are consistent.

In summary, to improve your accuracy in finding time in projectile motion problems, make sure you are using the correct equation and double check your calculations. With practice and understanding of the concepts, you will be able to solve these types of problems with confidence.

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is projected or launched into the air and then moves under the influence of gravity. This type of motion can be seen in everyday activities like throwing a ball or shooting a projectile.

How do you find the time of flight for a projectile?

The time of flight for a projectile can be found by using the equation t = 2v0sinθ/g, where v0 is the initial velocity of the projectile, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²). This equation assumes that there is no air resistance.

What factors affect the time of flight for a projectile?

The time of flight for a projectile is affected by the initial velocity, launch angle, and acceleration due to gravity. Other factors that can affect the time of flight include air resistance, wind, and the shape of the projectile.

How does changing the launch angle affect the time of flight for a projectile?

Changing the launch angle affects the time of flight for a projectile because it changes the initial velocity and the vertical and horizontal components of the projectile's motion. A higher launch angle will result in a longer time of flight, while a lower launch angle will result in a shorter time of flight.

What is the difference between time of flight and hang time for a projectile?

The time of flight for a projectile is the total time that the projectile is in motion before it returns to the ground. Hang time, on the other hand, refers to the amount of time that the projectile stays in the air without touching the ground. This is often used in sports to measure how long a ball or athlete stays in the air.