Exploring LQCD: Books, Publications and Advice

In summary, the difference between perturbative and non-perturbative regimes is that perturbative methods allow for more accurate calculations, but they require more computing time.
K.J.Healey
Does anyone here do LQCD?
If so do you have any recommendations on books concerning its development and use? Or publications with decent overviews?
I'm at the grad level currently, learning gauge theory, qcd/qed/field theory still, but have a decent background in lattice/crystallographic simulation. I'm just wondering where I should put my spare time if eventually I plan on using Lattice QCD to solve some problems.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Mike Creutz has a fantastic Cambridge Monograph on Lattices. "Quarks, gluons and lattices".

Christine Davies also wrote a great review article on LQCD specifically: hep-ph/0205181. It might be a little outdated now.

John Kogut wrote a very famous RMP (Vol 51, #4, 1979) that is required reading for the true professionals. A little closer to your crystallographic experience.

Peter Lapage gave a fantastic set of lectures at the 2002 SLAC Summer School that you can watch online: http://www.slac.stanford.edu/econf/C020805/Lecture Series_files/lepage1.html

And of course there are a great plethora of review articles online.

Hope this helps!

Amazing! Thank you very much.

K.J.Healey said:
Amazing! Thank you very much.

I also recommend:

1) an excellent introduction by Lepage (who I had the great luck to have as my PhD adviser):

"Lattice QCD for Novices"

theory.fnal.gov/people/kronfeld/BUSSTEPP/Lepage1998.pdf

2) Introduction to lattice QCD: Course.
Rajan Gupta (Los Alamos) . LA-UR-98-3271, Jul 1997. 150pp.
Lectures given at Les Houches Summer School in Theoretical Physics, Session 68: Probing the Standard Model of Particle Interactions, Les Houches, France, 28 Jul - 5 Sep 1997.
Published in *Les Houches 1997, Probing the standard model of particle interactions, Pt. 2* 83-219
e-Print: hep-lat/9807028

3) Uses of effective field theory in lattice QCD: Chapter 39 in At the Frontiers of Particle Physics, Handbook of QCD.
Andreas S. Kronfeld (Fermilab) . FERMILAB-PUB-02-093-T, May 2002. 68pp.
To appear in At the Frontiers of Particle Physics: Handbook of QCD, Chapter 39, Vol. 4, edited by M. Shifman.
In *Shifman, N. (ed.): At the frontier of particle physics. Vol. 4* 2411-2477.
e-Print: hep-lat/0205021

and, as books:

4) Lattice Gauge Theories: An Introduction, 2nd edition [contents], H. J. Rothe, 2nd edition (World Scientific, Singapore, 1997).

5) Quantum Fields on a Lattice [contents], Istvan Montvay and Gernot Münster, (CUP, Cambridge, 1994).

Hello LQCD members,
I just want to know the difference between perturbative regime and non-perturbative regime or methods, when I can apply one and when the other one?

1. What is LQCD?

LQCD stands for Lattice Quantum Chromodynamics, which is a numerical approach to studying the strong interaction and its effects on subatomic particles.

2. What can I learn from books and publications about LQCD?

Books and publications on LQCD can provide a comprehensive understanding of the theoretical framework, mathematical techniques, and current research in this field. They can also help in understanding how to apply LQCD to different physical systems.

3. How can I get started with LQCD research?

To get started with LQCD research, it is recommended to have a strong background in quantum field theory, numerical methods, and computer programming. It is also helpful to read books and publications on LQCD and seek guidance from experienced researchers in the field.

4. Are there any recommended resources or online communities for LQCD?

Yes, there are several resources and online communities for LQCD, including websites, forums, and social media groups dedicated to discussing and sharing information about LQCD research. Some popular resources include the arXiv preprint server and the Lattice QCD Collaboration website.

5. Can I use LQCD to study phenomena beyond the Standard Model?

Yes, LQCD can be used to study various phenomena beyond the Standard Model, such as dark matter, supersymmetry, and the Higgs mechanism. However, it is important to note that LQCD has its limitations and may not be applicable in all cases.