Integrating Difficult Expression: \intsin{^2}(kx)dx

• Thread starter raintrek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, there are several methods to integrate \int\sin^2(kx)dx such as using the Euler identity, trigonometric identities, or integration by parts. It is recommended to use TeX for mathematical notation.
raintrek
I'm probably missing something obvious here, but I'm trying to integrate the following expression;

[tex]\int[/tex]sin[tex]{^2}(kx)dx[/tex]

I've tried doing it by part but with no luck. Is there some specific method I need to follow, or is it one of those I can only get by looking it up?

Physics news on Phys.org
ok this is math, not physics.

Pesonally, I would use the Euler identity for sin(kx) and then things are straight forward, or use a trig-identity. But by heart I never rememeber so many of them, so I almost always use Euler.

p.s why not using TeX 100%? :)

Let me add some detail to malawi_glenn's two useful ideas.

Either write [itex]\mathrm{sin}\left(kx\right)[/itex] in terms of exponentials, or write [itex]\mathrm{sin}^2\left(kx\right)[/itex] in terms of [itex]\mathrm{cos}\left(2kx\right)[/itex].

Or, as a third method, use integration by parts+cyclicity of integral.

[tex]\sin^2 x=[1-\cos(2x)]/2[/tex]

1. What does the expression \intsin{^2}(kx)dx represent?

The expression \intsin{^2}(kx)dx represents the integral of the squared sine function with a variable inside the parentheses, kx, being multiplied by the sine function. This type of integral is commonly known as the definite integral and is used to find the area under the curve of the function.

2. How do you solve the integral \intsin{^2}(kx)dx?

To solve this integral, you can use various integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. The specific method used will depend on the complexity of the integrand and the skills of the person solving the integral.

3. What is the purpose of integrating a difficult expression like \intsin{^2}(kx)dx?

The purpose of integrating a difficult expression like \intsin{^2}(kx)dx is to find a numerical value for the area under the curve of the function. This can be useful in many applications such as calculating work done in physics or finding the average value of a function in statistics.

4. Can you explain the role of the variable k in the expression \intsin{^2}(kx)dx?

The variable k in the expression \intsin{^2}(kx)dx represents a constant that scales the argument of the sine function. This means that the value of k will affect the shape and amplitude of the function, but it will not change the overall process of solving the integral.

5. Are there any tips for simplifying the expression \intsin{^2}(kx)dx before integration?

One tip for simplifying this expression before integration is to use trigonometric identities to rewrite the integrand in terms of a single sine or cosine function. This can often make the integral easier to solve. Additionally, if the variable k is a constant, you can factor it out of the integral and solve for it separately after integrating the remaining expression.