Which summer position for my future goal of top tier grad school

In summary, it is important to consider both the financial benefits and the academic advantages when deciding on a summer position. The internship at the financial firm will definitely be helpful for your future, but research experience and a peer-reviewed paper in your chosen field of CS will also greatly benefit your grad school application.
Sulphagne
Hi,

I am an undergrad second year math and CS major. I am considering different summer positions for this summer. My eventual goal is to enroll in a CS PhD program at a top tier school. I was recently offered a very well paid summer intern position (technology/CS related) at a prestigious big-name (big? huge!) NYC financial firm. Meanwhile, I am waiting for a response from several math REU programs and a NASA program. The internship at the firm pays about 3 to 5 times what the other positions do which is really nice and would help pay my tuition. But, the other positions are research positions which I guess would help me with my goal. What do you guys think? Will the position at the firm do little for my grad school application? If not necessarily, what will it do for my application compared with a math REU position? I've already done an REU last summer at an ivy. But that was in physics (before I figured out my majors) and I didn't get a peer-reviewed paper out of it. I know that if one looks at the grad student body at top tier schools, a commonality is that many accomplished to publish a peer-reviewed paper in their undergrad. So it seems important. In my current research at my home institution, my work, I expect, may culminate in a peer-reviewed paper soon, but that too would be in physics (although, from a very computational/CS perspective, having only a physics backdrop). So another question is, if I were applying to a top CS grad school, is it critical that, should I have a peer-reviewed paper, it'd be in CS?

So I guess I got more than a couple questions here. Answer what you can and share what you may. Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The internship at the financial firm is definitely a great opportunity, and it will be very useful for your future career. It will also look great on your resume and graduate school applications. However, if you really want to make the most out of your summer, I would recommend that you try to pursue research opportunities as well. Research experience is invaluable, especially if it can result in a peer-reviewed paper. Having research experience in your chosen field (CS) will help your application stand out among the competition and give you a leg up when it comes to admissions. Additionally, having a peer-reviewed paper in CS will also be very beneficial. So if you have the time and resources to pursue both the intern position and research opportunities, I would highly recommend doing so.

my advice would be to carefully consider the skills and experiences that will best prepare you for a top tier CS PhD program. While the well-paid internship at the financial firm is certainly appealing, it is important to also consider the long-term benefits of a research position in your field of study. Research experience, especially with the potential for a peer-reviewed paper, can demonstrate your ability to conduct independent research and contribute to the scientific community, both of which are highly valued in grad school applications. Additionally, a research position can provide valuable skills and knowledge that may not be as easily gained through an internship. However, if the internship offers opportunities to work on projects that align with your research interests and can lead to potential publications, it may also be a valuable experience. Ultimately, it is important to weigh the pros and cons of each opportunity and choose the one that will best support your future goals and enhance your application to top tier grad schools. Additionally, while a peer-reviewed paper in CS may be preferred, any peer-reviewed paper in a related field can still demonstrate your research abilities and contribute to your application. I would also recommend seeking advice from your academic advisors or mentors in the CS field to help guide your decision. Good luck!

1. What type of summer position should I pursue to increase my chances of getting into a top tier grad school?

There is no one specific type of summer position that guarantees admission into a top tier grad school. Instead, focus on securing a position that aligns with your future goals and allows you to gain relevant experience and skills. This could include research internships, lab assistant positions, or even volunteer work in your desired field.

2. How important is the prestige of the summer position in relation to grad school admissions?

The prestige of a summer position is not the sole determining factor for grad school admissions. Admissions committees also consider your academic record, letters of recommendation, and personal statement. However, a prestigious position can definitely enhance your application and demonstrate your dedication and passion for your field.

3. Should I prioritize a paid summer position over an unpaid one for grad school admissions?

While having a paid summer position can provide financial stability and be seen as a valuable experience, an unpaid position should not be overlooked. What matters most is the relevance of the position to your future goals and the skills and knowledge you gain from it. If both positions offer similar experiences, then consider factors such as location and job responsibilities to make your decision.

4. Is it better to have a summer position in a different field or the same field as my desired grad program?

It is generally more beneficial to have a summer position in the same field as your desired grad program. This shows your commitment and interest in the field and can also provide valuable connections and insights. However, if a different field offers valuable skills and experiences that can be applied to your desired field, it can still be a valuable addition to your application.

5. Can a summer position compensate for a lower GPA in grad school admissions?

A summer position can definitely help to strengthen your grad school application, but it cannot completely compensate for a lower GPA. Admissions committees will still consider your academic record as an important factor in your application. However, a strong performance in a relevant summer position can demonstrate your abilities and potential to succeed in a grad program.