Using National Instruments LabView as Oscilloscope via Serial Cable

In summary, LabView cannot be used as an oscilloscope through a serial cable. While it is possible to connect to an external DAC and acquire data, the speed is too slow for it to function effectively as an oscilloscope. It would be more practical and cost-effective to simply purchase an actual oscilloscope.
TheDestroyer
Hi everybody,

I have a very simple question for programmers and automation professionals,

My friend told me that I can use the program National Instruments LabView as an Oscilloscope through the serial cable!

Is this true? and what are the limits of this advantage?

I'm using this program for the first time, so can anyone offer me some samples?

Computer science news on Phys.org
No, it is not true.
You can of course use the serial port (or better, the parallel port) to connect to an external DAC and then use Labview to acquire data, but this is slow process and you can never reach the kind of speed you need for an oscilloscope.
The serial port is only useful for logging slowly varying data (e.g. temperature).

It will be sooooooo much easier to just buy an oscilloscope if you need a oscilloscope.

Not to mention cheaper...

1. How do I connect my serial cable to LabView?

To connect your serial cable to LabView, you will need to have a serial port on your computer and a serial port on the device you want to measure. Connect the serial cable to both ports and make sure the connections are secure.

2. How do I set up LabView to use my serial cable as an oscilloscope?

To set up LabView to use your serial cable as an oscilloscope, you will need to open the "Measurement & Automation" application and select the "Instruments" tab. Then, click on "Create New" and select "Serial". Follow the prompts to configure your serial port and set up the proper communication parameters.

3. Can I use LabView as an oscilloscope for any device?

Yes, LabView can be used as an oscilloscope for any device that has a serial port and can communicate with LabView. However, you may need to configure the communication settings to match the device you are measuring.

4. How do I display the data from my device on the LabView oscilloscope?

To display the data from your device on the LabView oscilloscope, you will need to use LabView's "Read" function to read the data from the serial port. Then, use LabView's "Graph" function to plot the data on the oscilloscope. You can also customize the display settings to adjust the scale and resolution of the graph.

5. Can I save my measurements from LabView as a file?

Yes, you can save your measurements from LabView as a file by using the "Write to Measurement File" function. This will allow you to save your data in a variety of formats, including CSV, text, and binary. You can also specify the file name and location where you want to save the data.