Grade 11 Physics Project: Build Car to Go Farthest Displacement Under 1m

In summary, the student is looking for help on how to power a car using a 1kg weight. They think they can use a spinning disk to do this.
Cassie-Cove
I have my final Assignment for my Grade 11 Physics Class, We have To Build A car that will Go The " Farthest In Displacement" , it must not be bigger that 1 meter in any measurement.
There must be no electronics( motors, nos) but it must be powered by a 1kg weight.

Any ideas? I'm Completely Stumped!
Please and Thank-You! :D

Physics news on Phys.org
That's an incredibly broad task you've got there. What, precisely, are you allowed to use? Can you build a rocket car, for example?

Rockets Nope. no machanical things what so ever.
But We Have to use a 1kg weight to power it, to make it move.

Why can't you use a rocket? It's not mechanical!

My point is that you haven't given us nearly enough information to help you. I imagine you have a design brief; perhaps it would be best if you post that verbatim, along with some of your thoughts about it.

Thats all the information i was giving by the teacher, that's why I'm so stumped.
My teacher did give us an example like using pulleys. we just have to use the 1kg weight some how to make the wheels move.

I'd love to see these non-mechanical pulleys :wink:.

Seriously though, you must have some inital idea of a design. The first thing to figure out is how you can make wheels turn using a mass.

Ok. I guess mechanical was the wrong word to use, " electronic" would be the right word.
And Yes Thats What i need help with, how to make the wheels move using that 1kg weight.
I seroulsy don't know where to start.

How about using a 1kg spinning disk (spin it up using a rope/cord). Use this angular momentum and couple it to the wheels after the disk is spun up.

The Thing is that we don't get to choose our weight, the teacher has one weight, and every project has to use it. its a cylinder shaped weight and it has a hook on each end.

1. How do you determine the displacement of the car?

The displacement of the car can be determined by measuring the distance between the starting point and ending point of the car's movement in a straight line. This can be done using a measuring tape or ruler.

2. What factors affect the displacement of the car?

The displacement of the car can be affected by various factors such as the weight of the car, the surface it is moving on, the force applied to move the car, and the design of the car itself.

3. How can you optimize the displacement of the car?

To optimize the displacement of the car, you can make sure to reduce its weight as much as possible, use a smooth and flat surface for it to move on, and design the car with aerodynamics in mind to reduce air resistance.

4. What is the importance of displacement in physics?

Displacement is an important concept in physics as it helps us understand the distance an object has moved in a specific direction. It is also used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of an object.

5. Can you use any materials to build the car?

Yes, you can use any materials to build the car as long as they are within the given constraints of the project. However, it is important to choose materials that are lightweight and have good aerodynamic properties to achieve a farther displacement.