Biology- parts of fetal pig brain

In summary, the conversation is about a practical on fetal pig dissection and a question about the brain structure. The cerebellum is discussed as the part of the brain located under the cerebrum and the medulla oblangata is mentioned as part of the brainstem. A visual aid is also provided for clarification.
rasperas
Tommorrow I have a practical on the dissection of a fetal pig I have been doing all week. Today I removed the brain- intact out of the pig. I have completely forgotten a couple parts of the brain- and would like to remember them when I have the test tommorrow. Since the pig brain is similair in structure to human brain maybe you can help me- ok try to visualize- 1) The brain, as looked from above, has the main cerebrum- which is the biggest part, and then at the back is a almost a second little brain extending off of the cerebrum. Is this the cerebellum or the medulla oblangata? Is the cerebellum under the cerebrum or posterior? How big is the cerebellum in comparison to the medulla oblangata? Thankyou.
-Rod Aspera

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Rod,

It sounds like you have been doing a lot of hard work and preparation for your fetal pig dissection practical. Congratulations on successfully removing the brain intact from the pig! The brain is definitely a complex and fascinating organ, and it's great that you are taking the time to review and understand its different parts.

To answer your questions, the second little brain at the back of the main cerebrum is the cerebellum. The cerebellum is located posterior to the cerebrum, which means it is towards the back of the brain. In terms of size, the cerebellum is typically smaller than the cerebrum, but it can vary in size depending on the individual. The medulla oblongata, on the other hand, is located at the base of the brain and is responsible for regulating vital functions such as breathing and heart rate. It is smaller than both the cerebrum and the cerebellum.

I hope this helps you better visualize the different parts of the brain and their locations in relation to each other. Keep up the good work and good luck on your practical tomorrow!

1. What are the main parts of a fetal pig brain?

The main parts of a fetal pig brain include the cerebrum, cerebellum, brainstem, medulla oblongata, and spinal cord. The cerebrum is responsible for higher brain functions such as memory, language, and perception. The cerebellum controls coordination and balance, while the brainstem is involved in basic functions like breathing and heart rate. The medulla oblongata helps regulate involuntary actions like digestion and circulation, and the spinal cord serves as a pathway for sensory and motor information.

2. How does the size of a fetal pig brain compare to that of a human brain?

The size of a fetal pig brain is significantly smaller than that of a human brain. On average, a fetal pig brain weighs about 5 grams, while a human brain can range from 1,300 to 1,400 grams. This difference in size is due to the varying levels of complexity and intellectual abilities between pigs and humans.

3. What is the function of the cerebrum in a fetal pig brain?

The cerebrum is responsible for higher brain functions such as memory, language, and perception in a fetal pig brain. It is divided into two hemispheres (left and right) and each hemisphere controls the opposite side of the body. The cerebrum also plays a role in decision-making, problem-solving, and emotional responses.

4. How does the cerebellum assist in movement and coordination in a fetal pig?

The cerebellum is responsible for coordinating movements and maintaining balance in a fetal pig. It receives sensory information from the muscles and joints and uses this information to fine-tune and adjust movements. Damage to the cerebellum can result in issues with coordination, balance, and motor skills.

5. What role does the spinal cord play in a fetal pig brain?

The spinal cord serves as a pathway for sensory and motor information in a fetal pig brain. It connects the brain to the rest of the body and is responsible for transmitting messages between the brain and the body's muscles and organs. The spinal cord also plays a role in reflex actions, such as pulling away from a hot surface without conscious thought.