What are some mathematical fields with minimal 'tricks' and logical proofs?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of "tricks" in mathematics and how they are perceived by different mathematicians. Some believe that all mathematics is logical and just requires understanding the steps, while others differentiate between "tricks" and "techniques." The conversation also mentions mathematician Knuth's definition of tricks as something used once, and techniques as something used repeatedly. The conversation also brings up examples of "tricks" used in competition problems and in proofs of the Riemann Functional equation and the Ramanujan master theorem. The possibility of a similar "trick" being used to prove the Riemann Hypothesis is also mentioned.
tgt
What are fields of research in maths that contain a large number of tricks? What are fields that contain the least number?

By not containing many tricks, I mean fields where each step can be deduced in a logical manner without huge jumps. Tricks will mean the opposite.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You ask the weirdest questions. I would say that all maths is logical, you just need to understand the steps. For example, by "huge jumps" I presume you mean the author of a certain piece of work you are reading has just missed out several steps.. this can happen in any field!

cristo said:
You ask the weirdest questions. I would say that all maths is logical, you just need to understand the steps. For example, by "huge jumps" I presume you mean the author of a certain piece of work you are reading has just missed out several steps.. this can happen in any field!

I see your point but it is possible to distinguish a trick and something less so given the fact that mathematicians talk about something being a trick or not.

So whether something is or is not a "trick" depends upon the individual mathematician.

My experience is that most mathematicians don't talk about "tricks" at all!

HallsofIvy said:
So whether something is or is not a "trick" depends upon the individual mathematician.

Knuth did, but he might not count as a mathematician. He had some terminology here, something like 'tricks are things you use once, techniques are things you use repeatedly'. That's from the draft copy of one of his TAoCP series.

HallsofIvy said:

Some mathematicians speculated that Grothendieck didn't want to prove the Weil conjectures because it contained a trick or something like that.

It seems to me that all maths competition problem contain tricks, no?

perhaps he is referring a 'trick' in the sense that you can proof a math theorem in a small number of steps.

for example, if you consider the 'trick' [tex] \sum_{n= -\infty}^{\infty}e^{2i \pi n x} =\sum_{n= -\infty}^{\infty} \delta (x-n) [/tex]

taking Mellin transform on both sides you can get an easy 'proof' of Riemann Functional equation.

another of my favourites is the expansion [tex] ex(-exp(x))= 1-exp(x)+exp(2x)- [/tex]

used to proof 'Ramanujan master theorem' http://mathworld.wolfram.com/RamanujansMasterTheorem.html

i always dreamed about a similar kind of 'trick' to prove RH (Riemann Hypothesis)

What are the different areas of research in maths?

Some of the main areas of research in maths include algebra, geometry, calculus, number theory, and statistics. Within these areas, there are also many subfields and specializations that researchers may focus on.

What is the purpose of research in maths?

The main purpose of research in maths is to advance our knowledge and understanding of mathematical concepts and principles. This can lead to the development of new theories, applications, and techniques that can be used in various fields such as science, engineering, economics, and more.

How do mathematicians conduct research?

Mathematicians use a variety of methods to conduct research, including theoretical approaches, computational techniques, and experimentation. They may also collaborate with other mathematicians or scientists to brainstorm and solve complex problems.

What are some recent breakthroughs in mathematical research?

There have been many recent breakthroughs in mathematical research, such as the proof of the Poincaré conjecture, the development of new algorithms for data analysis, and advancements in cryptography. These breakthroughs have had significant impacts on various fields and industries.

How can I get involved in mathematical research?

If you are interested in pursuing research in maths, you can start by studying advanced mathematics and developing strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills. You can also attend conferences, workshops, and seminars to learn about the latest research and network with other mathematicians. Additionally, you can reach out to professors or researchers in your field of interest to inquire about potential research opportunities or collaborations.