Solve Physics Homework: Car Stopping Distance

In summary, a car is traveling at a velocity of 24 and decelerates at a rate of -4.0. The stopping distance can be calculated using a formula that includes the initial velocity, final velocity, acceleration, and displacement.
rmax58

Homework Statement

A car is traveling at = 24 . The driver applies the brakes and the car decelerates at = -4.0 . What is the stopping distance?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i just started my physics class and I have a horible teacher, i have never taken physics before and i think i just need a push in the right direction!

Physics news on Phys.org
You know the initial velocity, final velocity, and acceleration. Which formula has these 3 knowns as well as displacement (which is unknown, obviously)?

For the future you should write the unit

Welcome to PF!

rmax58 said:
A car is traveling at = 24 . The driver applies the brakes and the car decelerates at = -4.0 . What is the stopping distance?

Hi rmax58! Welcome to PF! :smile:

What formulas do you know that include acceleration? :smile:

Hi minifhncc! :smile:

Please don't answer other members' questions for them …

especially when they haven't had time to reply to previous help (rmax58 is probably still asleep).

In this forum, we try to minimise the help, so that members can work the problems out themselves, and learn better.

And stop trying to re-interpret the questions … as you yourself said …​
minifhncc said:
Yeah I suck at word based stuff … =P

Deleted, there happy?

I might not be the best at wordings of questions but I still came 2nd in my cohort for Physics recently, so... =P

1. What is the formula for calculating car stopping distance?

The formula for calculating car stopping distance is: stopping distance = thinking distance + braking distance. The thinking distance is the distance the car travels in the time it takes the driver to react and apply the brakes, while the braking distance is the distance the car travels while the brakes are applied.

2. How do factors such as speed and road conditions affect car stopping distance?

Speed and road conditions have a significant impact on car stopping distance. The higher the speed, the longer the stopping distance will be, as the car will have more momentum and require more time to come to a complete stop. Similarly, wet or slippery road conditions can increase stopping distance, as the tires have less grip and the car may slide before coming to a stop.

3. Can you provide an example of how to calculate car stopping distance?

Sure, let's say a car is traveling at a speed of 60 mph and the driver's reaction time is 0.75 seconds. The thinking distance can be calculated by multiplying the speed (in mph) by the reaction time (in seconds): 60 mph x 0.75 seconds = 45 feet. Assuming the braking distance is 225 feet, the total stopping distance would be 270 feet (45 feet + 225 feet).

4. How do vehicle weight and braking systems affect car stopping distance?

The weight of a vehicle can affect its stopping distance, as a heavier car will have more momentum and require more force to come to a stop. Additionally, the type and quality of the braking system can also play a role in stopping distance. Vehicles with advanced braking systems such as anti-lock brakes (ABS) may have shorter stopping distances compared to those with traditional braking systems.

5. Is there a minimum stopping distance for a car?

Yes, there is a minimum stopping distance for a car, which is the distance it would take for the car to come to a complete stop from a speed of 0 mph. This would depend on various factors such as the speed of the car, the road conditions, and the braking system. In general, it is recommended to maintain a safe following distance of at least 3 seconds between your car and the vehicle in front of you to allow for a safe stopping distance.