Question about stresses in material due to elastic and piezoelectric

In summary, the conversation discussed the equation for Newton's second law in relation to piezoelectricity, specifically addressing the partial derivative between stress and coordinate and the meaning of density*(u_i)". It was explained that stress is a sort of average of force, and that the stress tensor, which is associated with force, can be written in various forms for different materials. For piezoelectricity, the stress tensor is more complex.
overgift
I'm learning piezoelectricity right now and got an equation I can't understand. It writes the Newton's sencond law for the stresses in materials due to elastic and piezoelectric contribution.

The equation is in the attachment.

In this equation I'd like to ask what is the partial derivative between stress and the coordiante? And if density*(u_i)" means 'ma' in Newton's sencond law, does it mean the volume is an unit which equals to 1? Or there is another explanation?

Attachments

• Unbenannt.JPG
    Unbenannt.JPG
    13.9 KB · Views: 496
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

overgift said:
… The equation is in the attachment.

In this equation I'd like to ask what is the partial derivative between stress and the coordiante? And if density*(u_i)" means 'ma' in Newton's sencond law, does it mean the volume is an unit which equals to 1? Or there is another explanation?

Hi overgift! Welcome to PF! :smile:

It will be hours before the attachment is approved.

Can you type the equation for us (use the X2 and X2 tags above the reply field for SUP and SUB)? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi overgift! Welcome to PF! :smile:

It will be hours before the attachment is approved.

Can you type the equation for us (use the X2 and X2 tags above the reply field for SUP and SUB)? :smile:

Hi thank you for your kind reply. The equation writes:

[tex]\rho[/tex]*[tex]\ddot{ui}[/tex]-[tex]\partial[/tex]Tij/[tex]\partial[/tex]xj=0

uiis the volume displacement, T is stress.

Hi overgift! :smile:

(use ' not dots in this forum

and you needed "\partial T" rather than "\partialT" in your first attempt :wink:)

Let's see … rho ui'' = ∂Tij/∂xj

Are you asking what ∂Tij/∂xj is?

It's using the Einstein summation convention … you add all the possible values of i …

∂Tij/∂xj = ∂Ti1/∂x1 + ∂Ti2/∂x2 + ∂Ti3/∂x3 :smile:

tiny-tim said:

(use ' not dots in this forum

and you needed "\partial T" rather than "\partialT" in your first attempt :wink:)

Let's see … rho ui'' = ∂Tij/∂xj

Are you asking what ∂Tij/∂xj is?

It's using the Einstein summation convention … you add all the possible values of i …

∂Tij/∂xj = ∂Ti1/∂x1 + ∂Ti2/∂x2 + ∂Ti3/∂x3 :smile:
Thank you again for your help! ∂Tij/∂xj = ∂Ti1/∂x1 + ∂Ti2/∂x2 + ∂Ti3/∂x3 this I can understand, what I can't understand is stress is already the average amount of force,doesn't it already fit F=ma? so why take partial derivative, what does this mean?

overgift said:
… what I can't understand is stress is already the average amount of force,doesn't it already fit F=ma? so why take partial derivative, what does this mean?

Yes, stress is a sort of average of force …

but if the force is the same everywhere, nothing will move …

suppose it's a fluid, with Tij purely diagonal, so that T11, for example, is the pressure in the x1 direction.

Then T1j/∂xj = T11/∂x1, which is the pressure gradient in that direction, and u1'' will be 0, not T11, if T11 is constant. :smile:

tiny-tim said:

Yes, stress is a sort of average of force …

but if the force is the same everywhere, nothing will move …

suppose it's a fluid, with Tij purely diagonal, so that T11, for example, is the pressure in the x1 direction.

Then T1j/∂xj = T11/∂x1, which is the pressure gradient in that direction, and u1'' will be 0, not T11, if T11 is constant. :smile:

Thanks a lot! Now I totally understand.

overgift said:
I'm learning piezoelectricity right now and got an equation I can't understand. It writes the Newton's sencond law for the stresses in materials due to elastic and piezoelectric contribution.

The equation is in the attachment.

Tiny-tim did a nice job stepping you through the notation. I'd just like to add some conceptual information- piezoelectricity is a quite advanced topic to try and introduce many of these fundamental concepts.

Newton's second law, F = ma, when written in terms of a continuum is known as Cauchy's first law:

[tex]\frac{D(\rho v)}{Dt}= \nabla \bullet T[/tex]

Where D/Dt is the total derivative, and T the stress tensor. The physics comes in when writing down the form of the stress tensor. The divergence of the stress tensor is associated with 'Force'. Simple forms of the stress tensor can be written down for incompressible Newtonian fluids, Hookean elastic solids, linear combinations of the two (viscoelastic materials), etc. etc. and is known as "constitutive relations" or constitutive equations.

For piezoelectricity, the stress tensor is considerably more complex than that for an isotropic incompressible fluid, but the concept is the same as above.

Andy Resnick said:
Tiny-tim did a nice job stepping you through the notation. I'd just like to add some conceptual information- piezoelectricity is a quite advanced topic to try and introduce many of these fundamental concepts.

Newton's second law, F = ma, when written in terms of a continuum is known as Cauchy's first law:

[tex]\frac{D(\rho v)}{Dt}= \nabla \bullet T[/tex]

Where D/Dt is the total derivative, and T the stress tensor. The physics comes in when writing down the form of the stress tensor. The divergence of the stress tensor is associated with 'Force'. Simple forms of the stress tensor can be written down for incompressible Newtonian fluids, Hookean elastic solids, linear combinations of the two (viscoelastic materials), etc. etc. and is known as "constitutive relations" or constitutive equations.

For piezoelectricity, the stress tensor is considerably more complex than that for an isotropic incompressible fluid, but the concept is the same as above.

Thank you for your post. It really helps a lot

1. What is elastic stress in a material?

Elastic stress in a material refers to the internal forces that arise from the stretching or compressing of the material. These forces are proportional to the amount of deformation and can cause the material to return to its original shape when the external forces are removed.

2. How does elastic stress affect the properties of a material?

Elastic stress can affect the properties of a material by altering its mechanical, electrical, and thermal characteristics. When a material is under elastic stress, its stiffness, strength, and conductivity may change, leading to changes in its overall behavior and performance.

3. What is piezoelectric stress in a material?

Piezoelectric stress in a material refers to the generation of an electric charge in response to applied mechanical stress. This phenomenon is exhibited by certain materials, such as crystals and ceramics, and is used in various applications, including sensors, actuators, and energy harvesting devices.

4. How is piezoelectric stress different from elastic stress?

Piezoelectric stress is different from elastic stress in that it involves the conversion of mechanical energy into electrical energy, while elastic stress only involves the deformation of the material. Additionally, piezoelectric stress is a reversible process, whereas elastic stress can lead to permanent deformation in the material.

5. What are some examples of materials that exhibit piezoelectric stress?

Some examples of materials that exhibit piezoelectric stress include quartz, tourmaline, and certain types of ceramics. These materials are commonly used in devices such as ultrasound transducers, pressure sensors, and piezoelectric generators.