Gravitational Field Strength Help

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with calculating the gravitational field strength at a certain altitude above Earth's surface. The equation and values used are provided, but the answer obtained does not match the one in the textbook. After further discussion and checking the equation, it is determined that the error was due to not converting the distance into meters. The correct answer is 9.18 N/kg.
shootingrubbe
Hello Everyone, I've been trying to get the answer to this problem for ages now and I just can't match my answer with the one in the back of the textbook. I hope you can let me know what I'm doing wrong.

Homework Statement

What is the gravitational field strength at a place 220 km above Earth's surface, the altitude of many piloted space flights.

Homework Equations

Fg = mg
Fg = Gm₁m₂/d²

The Attempt at a Solution

d = 6.60 x 10³ km
G = 6.67 x 10-¹¹ N.m²/kg²
m₂ = 5.98 x 10²⁴ kg
g = ? N/kg

Fg = mg = Gm₁m₂/d²
mg/m = Gm₁m₂/d²/m
g = Gm₂/d²
g = (6.67 x 10-¹¹ N.m²/kg²)(5.98 x 10²⁴ kg)/((6.60 x 10³ km)²)

And when I do this I always get the wrong answer when I compare it with the one in the back of the textbook. The answer in the back of the textbook is 9.1 N/kg [down].

If anyone here could please help me with this, that would be great.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Equation looks fine to me, I solved it and got 9.18 N/kg
what did you get?

Thanks, I guess I was doing it right, I just forgot to convert the distance into meters.

oh of course, how could I overlook that. I didn't follow your equation, I did it myself. I should have checked your equation more thoroughly!

1. What is gravitational field strength?

Gravitational field strength is a measurement of the force exerted by a gravitational field on a unit mass. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is gravitational field strength calculated?

Gravitational field strength is calculated by dividing the force of gravity acting on an object by the object's mass. The formula for gravitational field strength is: g = F/m, where g is the gravitational field strength, F is the force of gravity, and m is the mass of the object.

3. What is the unit of measurement for gravitational field strength?

The unit of measurement for gravitational field strength is newtons per kilogram (N/kg). This unit is also equivalent to meters per second squared (m/s^2).

4. How does gravitational field strength vary with distance?

Gravitational field strength decreases as distance from the source of the gravitational field increases. This is known as the inverse square law, which states that the strength of a field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source.

5. What is the difference between gravitational field strength and gravitational acceleration?

Gravitational field strength and gravitational acceleration are related, but they are not the same. Gravitational field strength is a measurement of the force exerted by a gravitational field, while gravitational acceleration is a measurement of the rate of change of velocity due to gravity. Gravitational acceleration is also affected by the mass of the object, while gravitational field strength is not.