Electrix flux through a tetrahedron

In summary: All I had to do was find the point charge that the tetrahedron encloses and then integrate over the charge density.
kt7888

Homework Statement

what is the outward flux through one of the 4 triangular faces of a tetrahedron centered at the origin if the charge density is q*(delta)^3(r)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I figured that all I had to do was find the point charge q that the tetrahedron encloses...because I can find that by integrating over the charge density...
my problems are...am I making this problem too hard? Is there a simpler way to solve this?
and also, if I integrate over the charge density to, what are the limits of the integral, and how do you integrate the dirac delta?
Please Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the definition of the dirac delta:

[tex]\int_{all space} f(\vec{r'}) \delta ^3 (\vec{r}) d^3r'=f(0)[/tex]

So where does this mean the charge q is located? ;0)

q would be located at the origin...right?

but, don't I have to know what q is by the charge density?

or is it simply the flux from a point charge at the origin? But if that's the case, where does the charge density come into play?

Yes, it is a point charge q, located at the origin. The charge density just tells you that the only charge is the point charge q at the origin, that's all the information that you need from it. Just calculate the Flux from a point charge at the origin through one face of the tetrahedron.

so the flux from a point charge is q/e0

So, since the flux is through a tetrahedron, then it would be q/4e0

right?

Yes, but this is only true because the point charge is at the center of the tetrahedron, and so the flux through each face is equal.

Thank you!
Thank you!
Thank you!

I was over-thinking the problem.

1. What is an Electrix flux through a tetrahedron?

An Electrix flux through a tetrahedron is a measure of the total amount of electric field passing through a tetrahedron. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is Electrix flux through a tetrahedron calculated?

The Electrix flux through a tetrahedron can be calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field and the area vector of each face of the tetrahedron. The sum of these dot products gives the total Electrix flux through the tetrahedron.

3. What is the unit of measurement for Electrix flux through a tetrahedron?

The unit of measurement for Electrix flux through a tetrahedron is volts (V). This is because Electrix flux is a product of electric field (measured in volts per meter) and area (measured in square meters).

4. What is the significance of studying Electrix flux through a tetrahedron?

Studying Electrix flux through a tetrahedron can help us understand the behavior of electric fields in three-dimensional space. It is an important concept in electromagnetism and has applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy.

5. Can the Electrix flux through a tetrahedron ever be negative?

Yes, the Electrix flux through a tetrahedron can be negative. This occurs when the electric field and the area vector of a face of the tetrahedron are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative dot product. This signifies that the electric field is passing out of the tetrahedron instead of entering it.