Deriving an equation for displacement and acceleration (given velocity)

In summary, the homework statement is that for 0<t<1, v(t) = t +3. For 1<t<2, v(t) = 5-t. The Attempt at a Solution was to draw the acceleration diagram and write the equation so no problem there. My problem is drawing the displacement diagram. Southernbelle provided the equations for displacement and they are: For 0<t<1t2/2 + 3t + CFor 1<t<25t - t2/2 + C. The homework statement also states that x(0) = 0, so t2/2 + 3t + C has to be 0 when t = 0. So C = …
southernbelle

Homework Statement

For 0<t<1, v(t) = t +3
For 1<t<2, v(t) = 5-t
Assume x(o)=0

A) Draw corresponding displacement and acceleration diagrams.
B) Determine the equation for each segment

Homework Equations

Acceleration is the derivative of velocity.
Velocity is the derivative of displacement.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can draw the acceleration diagram and write the equation so no problem there.
My problem is drawing the displacement diagram.

I got the equations for displacement. They are:
For 0<t<1
t2/2 + 3t + C
For 1<t<2
5t - t2/2 + C

I cannot figure out how to evaluate that constant and plot that on a graph. Also, my teacher mentioned finding the area under the original curve and plotting that. The area = 3.5but that's not a point to plot. What do I dO?

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me that you have everything except the constants of integration. You are told to assume that x(0) = 0, meaning that at time of zero, you have no displacement. Plug it into get your constant.

southernbelle said:
For 0<t<1, v(t) = t +3
For 1<t<2, v(t) = 5-t
Assume x(o)=0

I got the equations for displacement. They are:
For 0<t<1
t2/2 + 3t + C
For 1<t<2
5t - t2/2 + C

I cannot figure out how to evaluate that constant and plot that on a graph.

Hi southernbelle! :smile:

x(0)=0, so t2/2 + 3t + C has to be 0 when t = 0, so C = … ? :wink:
Also, my teacher mentioned finding the area under the original curve and plotting that. The area = 3.5but that's not a point to plot. What do I dO?

ah … your 3.5 is just the area for t = 1 …

your teacher meant the area A(t) up to time t for any t

plot A(t) against t, and that's the displacement. :smile:

You have
For 0<t<1
x(t)= t2/2 + 3t + C
For 1<t<2
x(t)=5t - t2/2 + C
and x(0)= 0.

Be careful- the two "C"s are necessarily the same.

Use x(0)= 0 to find C in the first equation. Then use the fact that the two equations must give the same result at x= 1 to find C in the second equation.

Okay, so

I evaluated the constants.
For the first equation:
C = 0
For the second equation
C = -1

But how do I plot those? Would I use the coordinates (0,0) and (1, -1) ?

I am thinking that the Constant is where you start on the y-axis and then you use the slope to go from there.

But the equation is not written in slope intercept form.
? :(

Well it's not slope intercept form because it's not a simple linear equation. Graphing these is quite easy. Time is your independant variable, it depends on nothing, so it's your x-axis. The velocity/disp/accel are dependent on time x = f(t), so it's your y-axis. Just start at t=0, plug it into your equation and put a point, then go to 0.1, or whatever you choose, and calculate x. Rinse and repeat until you get to time = 1.0 seconds, then switch to the other equation.

1. What is displacement?

Displacement is the distance and direction an object has moved from its starting point. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (distance) and direction.

2. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It is a vector quantity and is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

3. What is the equation for displacement?

The equation for displacement is Δx = xf - xi, where Δx represents the change in position, xf is the final position, and xi is the initial position.

4. What is the equation for acceleration?

The equation for acceleration is a = Δv/Δt, where a represents acceleration, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the change in time.

5. How do you derive an equation for displacement and acceleration given velocity?

To derive an equation for displacement and acceleration given velocity, you can use the definition of acceleration (a = Δv/Δt) and the equation for displacement (Δx = xf - xi). By substituting xf = xi + vΔt (derived from the definition of velocity) into the displacement equation, we get Δx = vΔt - xi. Then, we can substitute this into the acceleration equation to get a = (vΔt - xi)/Δt. Simplifying this equation results in a = v - (xi/Δt), which is an equation that relates acceleration, velocity, and initial position.