Confusing on permeability and relative permeability

In summary: It is related to the relative permeability μr by μ = μr * μ0, where μ0 is the permeability of free space. So in linear media, B = μ0 * μr * H. In the presence of matter, the magnetic susceptibility χm determines the magnetization M in the material, and thus affects the overall permeability μ.
KFC
In some textbook of fundamental electromagnetism, the relation between magnetic field [tex]\vec{B}[/tex] and so called magnetizing field [tex]\vec{H}[/tex] is

[tex]\vec{B} = \mu_0\vec{H}[/tex]

But later on, they introduce a so called relative permeability

[tex]\mu_r = \frac{\mu}{\mu_0}[/tex]

I might be wrong but my understanding of this definition is relative permeability is used to tell the 'capability to affect the field' of the object while comparing to something in free space? So [tex]\mu[/tex] is actually the total and absolute permeability of that object?

And I am quite confusing with [tex]\vec{H}[/tex] here. Now then we have the [tex]\vec{B}[/tex] to describe the magnetic field, why we need another field variable? Someone said it may related to magnetization. But if there is a magnetization so

[tex]\vec{B} = \mu_0(\vec{H} + \vec{M}) = \mu_0\vec{H}[/tex]

why we still have to use H ?

My last question is: if a material with relative permeability [tex]\mu_r=\mu / \mu_0[/tex] is considered, the relation between B and H will modified to

[tex]\vec{B} = \mu_r\vec{H}[/tex]

or

[tex]\vec{B}=\mu\vec{H}[/tex]

or

unchanged?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Often, H is much more easily controlled, so H is much more useful both for practical purposes and in calculations. In fact, quite often H is introduced before B.

H behaves much more nicely in the presence of matter, where the magnetization is not in general zero. It's a similar relationship between E and D, but in practice it is E that is more easily controlled.

In linear media, B = μH. The relative permeability μr is dimensionless, so the dimensions wouldn't work out if you used that instead.

The magnetic susceptibility χm (which is dimensionless) determines the magnetization in (linear) matter: M = χmH. Thus B = μ0(H + M) = μ0(1 + χm)H = μH, where μ is defined to be μ0(1 + χm). And then μr = μ / μ0 = 1 + χm.

Thank you so much. In your reply, you said: In linear media, B = μH ... I wonder if μ here is the total permeability? That is, μ=μr0 ?

adriank said:
Often, H is much more easily controlled, so H is much more useful both for practical purposes and in calculations. In fact, quite often H is introduced before B.

H behaves much more nicely in the presence of matter, where the magnetization is not in general zero. It's a similar relationship between E and D, but in practice it is E that is more easily controlled.

In linear media, B = μH. The relative permeability μr is dimensionless, so the dimensions wouldn't work out if you used that instead.

The magnetic susceptibility χm (which is dimensionless) determines the magnetization in (linear) matter: M = χmH. Thus B = μ0(H + M) = μ0(1 + χm)H = μH, where μ is defined to be μ0(1 + χm). And then μr = μ / μ0 = 1 + χm.

By μ I mean exactly μ, the permeability of the material.

1. What is permeability?

Permeability refers to the ability of a material to allow fluids or gases to pass through it.

2. How is permeability different from relative permeability?

Permeability is an intrinsic property of a material, while relative permeability is a measure of how easily a specific fluid can pass through a material compared to another fluid.

3. What factors affect permeability?

Permeability can be affected by factors such as the type of material, its porosity, and the size and connectivity of its pores.

4. How is permeability measured?

Permeability is typically measured in units of darcys or millidarcys using specialized laboratory equipment and techniques.

5. Why is understanding permeability important in scientific research?

Permeability plays a crucial role in many scientific fields, such as geology, hydrology, and material science. It allows us to understand the movement of fluids through different materials and can help in the development of new technologies and products.