Optical light transmission through a coating

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference in optical transmission when light is incident upon a coated side compared to an uncoated side with an exit through the coated side. The group is unsure about the expected outcome and suggests using simulation software for analysis. The phenomenon is similar to imaging through turbulence and may depend on the specifics of the coating. It is believed that the transmission will be similar, unless the coating is highly scattering.
0kensai0
If I was to measure the transmission of light through a coated piece of glass(with a coating designed to scatter light). Do I expect the optical transmission to be different if the light is incident upon the coated side compared to if the light is incident on the uncoated side and exits through the coated side??

Our resident spectroscoper said I should expect the same transmission, but we're unsure as to why (since we're a bunch of chemists with limited physics background)

Can anyone shed some light on this matter.

thanks beforehand

Science news on Phys.org
I do not know the answer to your problem but I am sure that you can analyze it in simulation software such as lighttools. You can see the difference if coating is changed, or materials are changed or the shape. One way ahead is optimization using this software.

That's an interesting question. Have you measured any difference?

The reason it's interesting is because a similar phenomenon occurs in imaging through turbulence- satellites looking down at the Earth (with the scattering surface far away from the scope, and close to the object) can image well, while earth-bound telescopes looking up (through the nearby scattering medium, at the distant object) have problems. The same phenomenon can occur with fogged shower doors.

However, imaging is different than simple transmission. My suspicion is that the transmission will be very similar, unless the coating is highly scattering- enough to place a significant fraction of the incident light into the total internal reflection regime at the glass-air interface.

I guess it depends more on the specifics of what you're talking about. If you're just concerned about relative spectral transmission (i.e., the shape of the spectrum in wavelength space), it will be more or less the same, especially if the coating is thick compared to the wavelength. But if you're concerned about the shape and direction of the field, or the absolute power, that's not necessarily the case. For example, if your "coating" was a beamsplitter oriented 45 degrees from the surface, it one direction it would send half the light propagating to the left, while the other would send half the light propagating to the right.

1. How does a coating affect the transmission of optical light?

A coating can either enhance or reduce the transmission of optical light depending on its composition and thickness. Some coatings are designed to increase light transmission by reducing reflections and scattering, while others may block or absorb certain wavelengths of light.

2. What factors influence the transmission of light through a coating?

The composition and thickness of the coating, as well as the angle of incidence of the light, all play a role in light transmission. Other factors such as the refractive index of the coating material and the surface roughness can also impact light transmission.

3. Can a coating be designed to selectively transmit certain wavelengths of light?

Yes, coatings can be designed to selectively transmit certain wavelengths of light by using specific materials or thin film layers with precise thicknesses. This is often used in optical filters and lenses to control the color or intensity of light.

4. How do defects in a coating affect light transmission?

Defects in a coating, such as scratches or impurities, can cause light to scatter and reduce overall transmission. This is why it is important to have a smooth and uniform coating for optimal light transmission.

5. Can the transmission of light through a coating be measured?

Yes, there are various methods for measuring light transmission through a coating, such as spectrophotometry or ellipsometry. These techniques can provide quantitative data on the amount of light transmitted and help assess the quality and performance of the coating.