Do i need approval to use graphics from one paper in another paper ?

In summary, if you want to use an fMRI image from a paper in your own work, you will need to obtain approval from the copyright holder, usually the publisher, and it would be a good idea to also get permission from the authors. There are no specific reasons why this approval would be refused, but it is important to follow the proper procedures and obtain written permission. Citing the image is not enough and contacting the author is recommended as a courtesy, but not required. Failure to obtain permission could result in copyright infringement.
rogerharris
just wondering whether copyright approval is needed if i use say an fMRI image from a paper in my own ?

If so do they require payment ?

If anybody has had to do this were there any complications, such as the copyright holder having to review in what context the image was used ?

Thanks

Roger

Physics news on Phys.org
If you mean the actual image itself (as opposed to just data you extracted from the image), yes you need approval; definitely from the copyright holder (usually the publisher) but it would probably be a good idea to get a green light from the authors as well.

f95toli said:
If you mean the actual image itself (as opposed to just data you extracted from the image), yes you need approval; definitely from the copyright holder (usually the publisher) but it would probably be a good idea to get a green light from the authors as well.

Is there any reason why a journal would refuse approval for re-use in another scientific work ?

I'm not sure whether you're asking about an image from someone else's paper, or from one of your own. Either way, f95toli is correct, I believe - you have to get permission from the publisher. As part of the submission process, you have to declare any images etc. you have taken from other papers and provide proof of written permission.

I'm not aware of any reason why this would be refused in general. Perhaps they may deny it if the information within is considered obsolete, or if it were to be used as part of a marketing publication and you were not offering reimbursment.

These are probably good questions for your thesis advisor.

Thanks for invaluable feedback ..again.

Can't you just cite it underneath the image? I don't think it's necessary to contact the author.

Well, contacting the author would just be common courtesy in my view; but you are right it is not a requirement.
However, you definitely MUST get permission from the copyright holder; otherwise it is a form of copyright infringement. Figures in scientific papers are no different from e.g. photos in newspapers in that respect.

What are the rules for using graphics from one paper in another paper?

The rules for using graphics from one paper in another paper may vary depending on the source and the intended use of the graphics. Generally, you will need approval from the original source before using any graphics in your own paper.

Do I need to cite the source of the graphics in my paper?

Yes, it is important to give proper credit to the original source of the graphics in your paper. This can be done through proper citation and referencing according to the style guide used in your field of study.

Can I use graphics from a paper that is not published yet?

No, it is not recommended to use graphics from a paper that is not yet published. This is because the information and graphics in the paper may still be subject to change and may not be accurate or finalized.

Do I need to ask for permission to use graphics from a paper that is in the public domain?

While the graphics may be in the public domain, it is still considered best practice to ask for permission before using them in your own paper. This shows respect for the original source and ensures that you are using the graphics in an appropriate and ethical manner.

Are there any exceptions to needing approval for using graphics from one paper in another paper?

In some cases, you may not need approval to use graphics from one paper in another paper. This may include using graphics for educational or non-commercial purposes, or if the graphics are in the public domain. However, it is always best to check with the original source and properly cite the graphics in your paper.