Maple: ODE and PDE system coupled

In summary, Shannon is working on a system of PDEs and one ODE, coupled in an SEIR model with an extra class for treated individuals. They are having trouble solving the system due to multiple dependencies in the equations and conditions. They are looking for guidance on how to solve the system and plot the results on the same graph. They have tried various options and searched the internet for examples, but have not found a solution. They have shared their equations and initial conditions, as well as the version of Maple they are using. Currently, the system has been solved using pdsolve, but there is an error when trying to plot the results.
mscolli
Hello,

This is my first post and hopefully my question has not been answered elsewhere already as I realize it is annoying to answer the same type of posts over and over again.

I am working on a system of PDEs with one ODE, coupled. It is an SEIR model with one extra class for the group of people who have received treatment.

I believe I am having a problem because of the multiple dependencies in each of the equations and conditions.

Ideally I would like the system to be solved and plotted however I have no idea how to go about this with what I have here. I have searched the internet for other example but I have found nothing helpful. I have tried everything in the Maple help and used all options available to pdsolve. If somebody could take a look at the worksheet and guide me in the right direction that would be very helpful.

I will paste the contents of my worksheet below as well, I will attach it to this post if that is easier to read.

The version of Maple that I am using is Maple 10 student edition.

Thanks,
Shannon

> restart

> with(PDEtools); with(plots);

Warning, the name changecoords has been redefined

> with(DEtools)

> #Ideally I would like a system solved analytically and the results plotted. I would like the results for S,E,I,R,D plotted on the same graph.I have no idea what I have done wrong but I believe my issue lies in the fact that the system I am trying to solve is recursive.

>

>

> #alpha := 0.3257;

> #d := 0.00761;

> #mu := 0.0015;

> #omega := 1/30;

> #lambda := 0.01028;

> #gam := 0.49089;

> #R0 := 1.42;

> #p := 0.1;

> #beta := (R0 * d * (d + mu + gam) * (d + alpha))/(lambda*alpha);

> "#v:=0.8;"

> int(Ip(a, t), a = 0 .. infinity) := Ip(a, t);

> int(Del(a, t), a = 0 .. infinity) := Del(a, t);

> int(R(a, t), a = 0 .. infinity) := R(a, t);

int(Ip(a, t), a = 0 .. infinity) := Ip(a, t)

int(Del(a, t), a = 0 .. infinity) := Del(a, t)

int(R(a, t), a = 0 .. infinity) := R(a, t)

> "#ode:=diff(S(a,t),t) - lambda+d*S(a,t) + S(a,t)*beta*int(Ip(a,t),a=0..infinity)+ v*p*S(a,t) - omega*int(Del(a,t),a=0..infinity)-f*int(R(a,t),a=0..infinity)=0; "

> "#dsolve(ode, S(a,t));"

> [/ d \ / d \

> pdesys := [|--- E(a, t)| + |--- E(a, t)| + d E(a, t) + alpha E(a, t) = 0,

> [\ dt / \ da /

>

> / d \ / d \

> |--- Ip(a, t)| + |--- Ip(a, t)| + d Ip(a, t) + gam Ip(a, t) + mu Ip(a, t) = 0,

> \ dt / \ da /

>

> / d \ / d \

> |--- R(a, t)| + |--- R(a, t)| + f R(a, t) + d R(a, t) = 0,

> \ dt / \ da /

>

> / d \ / d \ ]

> |--- Del(a, t)| + |--- Del(a, t)| + d Del(a, t) = 0]

> \ dt / \ da / ]

> print();

[/ d \ / d \

[|--- E(a, t)| + |--- E(a, t)| + d E(a, t) + alpha E(a, t) = 0,

[\ dt / \ da /

/ d \ / d \

|--- Ip(a, t)| + |--- Ip(a, t)| + d Ip(a, t) + gam Ip(a, t) + mu Ip(a, t) = 0,

\ dt / \ da /

/ d \ / d \

|--- R(a, t)| + |--- R(a, t)| + f R(a, t) + d R(a, t) = 0,

\ dt / \ da /

/ d \ / d \ ]

|--- Del(a, t)| + |--- Del(a, t)| + d Del(a, t) = 0]

\ dt / \ da / ]

> IBCs := {E(a, 0) = 0, Ip(a, 0) = 0.05, R(a, 0) = 0, Del(a, 0) = 0,

>

> E(0, t) = beta Ip(0, t), Ip(0, t) = alpha E(0, t), R(0, t) = gam Ip(0, t),

>

> Del(0, t) = v p}

> print();

{E(0, t) = beta Ip(0, t), Ip(0, t) = alpha E(0, t), R(0, t) = gam Ip(0, t),

Del(0, t) = v p, E(a, 0) = 0, Ip(a, 0) = 0.05, R(a, 0) = 0, Del(a, 0) = 0}

> pdesol := pdsolve(pdesys)

> print();

{Del(a, t) = _F1(t - a) exp(-d a), E(a, t) = _F2(t - a) exp(-(d + alpha) a),

R(a, t) = _F3(t - a) exp(-(f + d) a),

Ip(a, t) = _F4(t - a) exp(-(d + gam + mu) a)}

>

Attachments

• preexposure.mw
    105.9 KB · Views: 543
Physics news on Phys.org
plot(pdesol);Error, (in plot) invalid input: plot expects its 1st argument, pdesol, to be of type {list, set}, but received pdesol

Assuming(a > 0, pdesol)

> print();

{Del(a, t) = _F1(t - a) exp(-d a), E(a, t) = _F2(t - a) exp(-(d + alpha) a),

R(a, t) = _F3(t - a) exp(-(f + d) a),

Ip(a, t) = _F4(t - a) exp(-(d + gam + mu) a)}

> #The next step would be to solve for _F1(t-a), _F2(t-a), _F3(t-a), and _F4(t-a) using the initial conditions.

> #However, this may be difficult because of the multiple dependencies in each equation and condition.

> #One approach could be to use numerical methods to solve for these functions.

> #Another option could be to simplify the system by assuming certain values for the parameters and solving for a specific scenario.

> #It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a mathematician or colleague who has experience with solving coupled ODE and PDE systems. Good luck with your research!

1. What is Maple and how is it used for ODE and PDE system coupling?

Maple is a computer algebra system commonly used by scientists, engineers, and mathematicians for mathematical computations and problem-solving. It has special tools and functions for solving ordinary differential equations (ODEs) and partial differential equations (PDEs) and allows for the coupling of these equations to model complex systems.

2. Can Maple handle coupled systems with multiple variables and equations?

Yes, Maple has the capability to handle coupled systems with multiple variables and equations. It has built-in functions for defining and solving systems of equations, making it a powerful tool for studying complex systems in various fields of science and engineering.

3. What are the advantages of using Maple for ODE and PDE system coupling?

One of the main advantages of using Maple for ODE and PDE system coupling is its user-friendly interface and robust mathematical capabilities. It also has a vast library of pre-defined functions and tools for solving various types of equations, making it a versatile and efficient tool for scientific research and problem-solving.

4. Are there any limitations to using Maple for ODE and PDE system coupling?

While Maple is a powerful tool for solving coupled systems of equations, it does have some limitations. It may not be suitable for very large or complex systems, and it may also have difficulty with certain types of equations. It is always important to carefully check the results and consider the limitations of the software when using it for scientific research.

5. Are there any resources available for learning how to use Maple for ODE and PDE system coupling?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning how to use Maple for ODE and PDE system coupling. Maple offers tutorials, documentation, and online help for its users. Additionally, there are many online forums and communities where users can ask questions and learn from experienced users. There are also textbooks and online courses available for those who want to deepen their understanding of Maple and its capabilities.