Johnson noise power distribution?

In summary, Feynman discusses the voltage in an LRC circuit due to thermal noise, and the power distribution is the following: P(w)dw=(2/pi)ktdw. However, he does not explain how the radiator relates to the noise, and the noise voltage is written with an "R" in it.
Fr33Fa11
I've been reading through the Feynman lectures (almost done with Volume 1), and I have been trying to prove everything to myself. I have a bit of a problem now though, in Chapter 41 on Brownian motion, Feynman shows what the voltage in an LRC circuit is due to thermal noise, and then says that the power distribution (with respect to angular velocity) is the following:
P(w)dw=(2/pi)ktdw
Now I have two problems. First, I do not understand where this comes from. At that point he says merely that it will be proven later, and the later proof is unhelpful and vague. The second problem is that the above formula does not check out with dimensional analysis. Power is in terms of J/s, kt is in terms of J, dw is /s, and cancels on both sides. Leaving
J/s=J
Is it wrong or am I missing something?
The later explanation that is given is that the noise generator in a circuit with resonance (adjustable) can be described as the signal received from an antenna due to thermal radiation emitted from the surrounding environment. This he shows (and I follow the explanation for this part) to be proportional to I(w)=w^2*(kt)/(pi^2c^2), and the correction for high temperature or low frequency is also shown, where I is the intensity of the radiation. It seems to me that Power=Area*Intensity, and so it would depend on the size of the antenna. Can anyone explain this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I think I understand it. I found an explanation using two resistors in series and standing voltage waves. What I don't understand now is his derivation of P from the spectral distribution for a black body radiator. As far as I understand it, he says this:
1. The black body radiator can be considered to be an individual atom, containing an electron that is allowed to vibrate as a harmonic oscillator. This atom must gain and lose energy at the same rate in order for it to be at thermal equilibrium in a box full of gas.
2. The equation for the root mean square voltage in an LRC circuit is w^2*LkT
Both of those statements, as well as the subsequent derivation for a black body radiator, I agree with. The problem is how the radiator relates to the thermal noise.

Fr33Fa11 said:
Ok, I think I understand it. I found an explanation using two resistors in series and standing voltage waves. What I don't understand now is his derivation of P from the spectral distribution for a black body radiator. As far as I understand it, he says this:
1. The black body radiator can be considered to be an individual atom, containing an electron that is allowed to vibrate as a harmonic oscillator. This atom must gain and lose energy at the same rate in order for it to be at thermal equilibrium in a box full of gas.
2. The equation for the root mean square voltage in an LRC circuit is w^2*LkTBoth of those statements, as well as the subsequent derivation for a black body radiator, I agree with. The problem is how the radiator relates to the thermal noise.
Neither inductors nor capacitors can be sources of thermal noise. Only resistors can be the source of noise, but inductances and capacitors can define bandwidth. So it is better to write the noise voltage with an "R" in it.

1. What is Johnson noise power distribution?

Johnson noise power distribution, also known as thermal noise or white noise, is the random fluctuation of electrical currents or voltages in a conductor due to the thermal energy of the electrons. It is caused by the random motion of electrons, resulting in a continuous distribution of energy across all frequencies.

2. How is Johnson noise power distribution calculated?

Johnson noise power distribution can be calculated using the formula P = k*T*B, where P is the power in watts, k is the Boltzmann constant (1.38 x 10^-23 J/K), T is the temperature in Kelvin, and B is the bandwidth in hertz. This formula is derived from the thermal noise equation, which describes the average power of a resistor due to thermal noise.

3. What factors affect Johnson noise power distribution?

The main factors that affect Johnson noise power distribution are temperature, bandwidth, and resistance. As temperature increases, the thermal energy of electrons also increases, resulting in a higher level of noise. A wider bandwidth also leads to a higher noise power, as there is a larger range of frequencies for the noise to be distributed across. Additionally, a higher resistance will result in a higher noise power, as there are more electrons moving through the conductor.

4. How does Johnson noise power distribution impact electronic devices?

Johnson noise power distribution can impact electronic devices by creating a background noise that can interfere with the desired signals. This noise can limit the sensitivity and accuracy of electronic devices, especially in low-power applications. It can also contribute to the overall power consumption of a device, as noise power must be taken into account when designing for power efficiency.

5. How can Johnson noise power distribution be minimized?

To minimize Johnson noise power distribution, the main approach is to reduce the temperature and bandwidth of the system. This can be achieved by using low-noise components and designing circuits with efficient filtering and shielding techniques. Additionally, using low-resistance materials and minimizing the number of components in a circuit can also help reduce the impact of Johnson noise power distribution.