EINSTEIN Summation notation

In summary, The author uses subscripts to label members of a basis and superscripts to label components of a vector in Einstein summation notation. In differential geometry, this notation helps to distinguish between different types of tensors.
iontail
hi i am just reading some notes on tesor analysis and in the notes itself while representing vectors in terms of basis using einstein summation notation the author switches between subsripts and superscripts at times. are there any different in these notation. if so what are they and when should they be used?

An examples is given on the pdf in section 1.3.

Attachments

• RelativeResourceManager.pdf
    73.5 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
They're using subscripts to label different members of the same basis, and superscripts to label components of a vector, so [tex]A=A^i e_i[/tex]. The components of the metric are [tex]g_{ij}=g(e_i,e_j)[/tex]. The [tex]g^{ij}[/tex] are the components of the inverse of the matrix with components [tex]g_{ij}[/tex]. Therefore [tex]g^{ij}g_{jk}=\delta^i_k[/tex]. The [tex]e^i[/tex] are members of a basis for the dual space of the vector space with basis [tex]\{e_i\}[/tex]. They're defining them by [tex]e^i=g^{ij}e_j[/tex]. An expansion of a member of the dual space in terms of the [tex]e^i[/tex] would appear as [tex]\omega=\omega_i e^i[/tex], i.e. components of dual vectors are labeled by a subscript.

The dual space V* of a real vector space V is the set of continuous linear functions from V into the real numbers.

hi thanks for you reply. what is the underlying benifit of switching between the vectors on covector (indices). I ask this because Feynman introduces the concept of four vectors only using subscripts only.

In this context, there is no advantage at all. You can think of these equations as matrix equations, put all the indices downstairs, and forget you've ever even heard the word "tensor". (I often do that myself. See this for example. But then you should also be aware of this so that you understand what you read in books. Note in particular the expression for the inverse of a Lorentz transformation).

In differential geometry, the distinction between subscripts and superscripts has the advantage that the notation reveals what sort of tensor you're dealing with. For example, when you see [itex]R_{abc}{}^d[/itex], you know it's supposed to be acting on three tangent vectors and one cotangent vector.

Hello there,

Einstein summation notation is a convenient way to represent vector and tensor equations in a concise and general form. In this notation, repeated indices are implicitly summed over, which simplifies the expressions and makes them easier to manipulate. The use of subscripts and superscripts in this notation is interchangeable, and the choice often depends on personal preference or the specific context of the equation.

In general, subscripts are used to indicate the position of a component in a vector or tensor, while superscripts are used to indicate the type or order of the object. For example, in the expression for a vector V, V_i would represent the ith component of the vector, while V^i would represent the contravariant component of the vector.

It is important to note that the use of subscripts and superscripts should be consistent within a particular equation or problem, in order to avoid confusion. In some cases, it may also be necessary to use both subscripts and superscripts to fully represent a tensor, such as in the case of a mixed tensor.

In summary, the use of subscripts and superscripts in Einstein summation notation is a matter of convention and personal preference, but it is important to be consistent and clear in their usage to accurately represent the equations and tensors being discussed.

1. What is Einstein summation notation?

Einstein summation notation is a mathematical notation used to simplify expressions with repeated indices and summation over those indices. It was developed by Albert Einstein and is commonly used in physics and mathematics.

2. How is Einstein summation notation written?

Einstein summation notation is written using the Greek letter sigma (Σ) to represent summation and repeated indices. The indices are written as subscripts or superscripts depending on their position in the expression.

3. What are the advantages of using Einstein summation notation?

Einstein summation notation allows for concise and efficient representation of mathematical expressions with repeated indices. It also allows for easier manipulation and calculation of these expressions.

4. What are some common applications of Einstein summation notation?

Einstein summation notation is commonly used in various fields of physics, such as relativity, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in mathematics for operations on vectors and tensors.

5. Are there any rules for using Einstein summation notation?

Yes, there are a few rules to follow when using Einstein summation notation. These include the summation convention, which states that when an index is repeated, it is implicitly summed over all possible values. There are also rules for raising and lowering indices and for multiplying and dividing expressions with summation notation.