Density of dark matter in milky way

In summary, The average density of dark matter in the Milky Way is estimated to be around 4.5 × 10−2(r0/kpc) − (2/3)2x10^30kg pc−3. The term "r0" in the equation represents a unit of mass, however, it is unclear what specific unit it refers to. Researchers are still studying the distribution of dark matter and its density around different gravitational bodies, but if evenly dispersed, it is believed to be diffuse within our galaxy.
diagopod
Does anyone happen to know the average density of dark matter per unit volume in the milky way? I've seen at least one formula, but I'm not sure I fully comprehend it. Here is the equation I found:

ρ0 = 4.5 × 10−2(r0/kpc) − (2/3)2x10^30kg pc−3

The only part of this equation that I can't quite follow is the term "r0." I imagine that must be some unit of mass to make the units work out, but not sure what unit of mass it would be. Anyone happen to know?

Also, since dark matter density isn't uniform, do researchers know yet whether it increases around relatively small gravitational bodies, such as the sun, earth, the local group, etc? If so, is there a rough formula for the density of dark matter surrounding a gravitational body or cluster of bodies of a given mass?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
If evenly dispersed, as suggested by observation, dark matter is diffuse within our galaxy.

1. What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a hypothetical form of matter that makes up approximately 85% of the total matter in the universe. It is invisible and does not interact with light, making it difficult to detect and study.

2. What is the density of dark matter in the Milky Way?

The exact density of dark matter in the Milky Way is still unknown. However, scientists estimate that it is around 0.2 solar masses per cubic parsec, or about 10-24 grams per cubic centimeter.

3. How do scientists measure the density of dark matter in the Milky Way?

Scientists use various methods to estimate the density of dark matter in the Milky Way, such as studying the rotation curves of stars and gas in the galaxy, gravitational lensing, and simulations based on the distribution of visible matter in the galaxy.

4. Does the density of dark matter vary throughout the Milky Way?

Yes, the density of dark matter is not uniform throughout the Milky Way. It is believed to be more concentrated in the central bulge of the galaxy and in the halos surrounding galaxies.

5. Why is the density of dark matter important to understand?

The density of dark matter plays a crucial role in the formation and evolution of galaxies, as well as the overall structure of the universe. Understanding its distribution and density can help us better understand the processes that shape our universe.