Question about interacting objects

• Thread starter sona1177
  • Start date
In summary, the magnitude of the force of the car on the truck is 3000 N and the magnitude of the force of the truck on the car is also 3000 N. These values were obtained using static friction and assuming that the tires were rolling and not sliding. It is important to use static friction to avoid the wheels from sliding at the start. This assumption is valid and the answers are correct.
sona1177
A 1000 kg car pushes a 2000 kg truck that has a dead battery. When the driver steps on the accelerator, the drive wheels of the car push backward against the ground with a force of 4500 N.

A) what is the magnitude of the force of the car on the truck?

B) what is the magnitude of the force of the truck on the car

Before I start, I just want to make sure if I use static friction and not kinetic friction, right since tires are just rolling and not sliding?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use static friction. It is bad if the wheels slide at start.

ehild

I got 3000 N for both by using static friction as the friction component and drawing the force of the wheels as pointing to the right for the Free Diagram of the car. Are these assumptions that I have made valid?

sona1177 said:
I got 3000 N for both by using static friction as the friction component and drawing the force of the wheels as pointing to the right for the Free Diagram of the car. Are these assumptions that I have made valid?
Yes and your answers are correct. (It is most likely static friction at work--at least one hopes so. But it really doesn't matter for this problem, since you are told what the force is that the tires exert against the ground.)

Great! Thank you so much for taking the time to help me!

1. What is the definition of interacting objects?

Interacting objects refer to any two or more objects that are physically connected or influence each other through a force or interaction.

2. How do interacting objects affect each other?

Interacting objects can affect each other by transferring energy, causing motion or changes in motion, or exerting forces on each other.

3. What are some examples of interacting objects?

Some examples of interacting objects include a book resting on a table, a pendulum swinging back and forth, or a car being pushed by a person.

4. How does the mass of interacting objects affect their interaction?

The mass of interacting objects can affect their interaction by determining how much force is exerted on each other. Objects with larger mass will require more force to cause a change in motion compared to objects with smaller mass.

5. Can interacting objects interact without being in direct contact?

Yes, interacting objects can interact without being in direct contact through the use of fields, such as magnetic or gravitational fields. These fields can influence the motion or behavior of objects without physical contact.