Polarization by quarter-wave plates

In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for manufacturers/suppliers of a complete setup for the Polarization by Quarter-wave Plates Experiment. They have found one supplier, PHYWE Systeme from Germany, but need at least two more. Another person suggests finding two other suppliers who offer all the needed parts separately, such as Thorlabs and Newport.
ViTiB
Can anyone direct me to manufacturers/suppliers of the complete setup for the Polarization by Quarter-wave Plates Experiment? I have already found one: PHYWE Systeme (Germany) - http://www.phywe.com/461/pid/26331/Polarisation-durch-Lambda-Viertel-Plaettchen-.htm" [Broken], but I need at least two more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I do not think there are that many suppliers that offer the whole setup as a kit. If the only reason why you are interested in additional manufacturers is that you are from a German university and just need to show three offers from different suppliers to your administration, I suggest to find two other suppliers who offer all the needed parts, but not as a whole "kit" and just add all the prices for the single components. Thorlabs and Newport should have all of the stuff you are looking for.

1. What is polarization by quarter-wave plates?

Polarization by quarter-wave plates is a phenomenon in which light waves passing through a specialized optical device called a quarter-wave plate become linearly polarized. This means that the light waves oscillate in a specific direction, rather than in all directions as in unpolarized light.

2. How does a quarter-wave plate work?

A quarter-wave plate is made up of a thin layer of birefringent material, which has the ability to split incoming light waves into two perpendicular components with different velocities. As the light waves pass through the quarter-wave plate, one component travels faster than the other, causing a phase difference between the two waves. This phase difference results in the polarization of the light waves.

3. What is the purpose of using a quarter-wave plate?

The main purpose of using a quarter-wave plate is to manipulate the polarization of light. It can convert unpolarized light into linearly polarized light, or change the orientation of linearly polarized light. This is useful in various applications, such as in optical communications, microscopy, and imaging.

4. Can a quarter-wave plate work with all types of light?

No, a quarter-wave plate only works with coherent light, meaning light waves that have a consistent wavelength and are in phase with each other. Incoherent light, such as light from a light bulb, cannot be polarized by a quarter-wave plate.

5. How is a quarter-wave plate different from a half-wave plate?

A quarter-wave plate and a half-wave plate are both optical devices that can manipulate the polarization of light. However, a quarter-wave plate creates a phase difference of 90 degrees between the two perpendicular components of light, while a half-wave plate creates a phase difference of 180 degrees. This results in different polarizations of the transmitted light.