Exploring the Dirac-Delta Function: Divergence at the Origin

• Thread starter brianparks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the divergence of a function is the magnitude of the vector difference between the magnitude of the vectors at every point in the function domain and the magnitude of the vectors at the origin. The divergence is zero for r > 0 because the field never diverges from the radial direction.
brianparks
In introducing the dirac-delta function, my electrodynamics discusses the following function:

[tex]v = 1 / r^2[/tex]r

The text states that "at every location, v is directed radially outward; if there ever was a function that ought to have a large positive divergence, this is it. And yet, when you actually calculate the divergence (using Eq. 1.71), you get precisely zero."

At least on the positive portion of the x-y-z axis, it seems to me that v would have a negative divergence, meaning that as you move away from the origin, the magnitude of the vectors (which all point radially outward from the origin), would get smaller. That is, for every point other than the origin, the amount going in would exceed the amount coming out (the definition of a sink). For example:

Origin---------->-------->------>---->-->

Does this not indicate a negative divergence?

This question has caused me to wonder if my understanding of the divergence function is flawed.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

--Brian

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The divergence is zero for r > 0 because the field never diverges from the radial direction.

But doesn't the field weaken as you move radially outward? If so, wouldn't that mean that the divergence is negative?

Maybe my understanding of divergence is wrong.

Consider this function:

[tex] v = 1 / x^2[/tex]x

From 0 to infinity, it would look like this:

---------->--------->-------->------->------>----->---->--->-->

and so on...

Wouldn't it have a negative divergence?

Thanks again for any help,
--Brian

brianparks said:
But doesn't the field weaken as you move radially outward? If so, wouldn't that mean that the divergence is negative?

Maybe my understanding of divergence is wrong.

Consider this function:

[tex] v = 1 / x^2[/tex]x

From 0 to infinity, it would look like this:

---------->--------->-------->------->------>----->---->--->-->

and so on...

Wouldn't it have a negative divergence?

Thanks again for any help,
--Brian

See http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/diverg.html#c3

for the appropriate formulas for divergence in spherical coordiantes.

brianparks said:
In introducing the dirac-delta function, my electrodynamics discusses the following function:

[tex]v = 1 / r^2[/tex]r

The text states that "at every location, v is directed radially outward; if there ever was a function that ought to have a large positive divergence, this is it. And yet, when you actually calculate the divergence (using Eq. 1.71), you get precisely zero."

--Brian

Let us try.

[tex]\Vec{v}(x,y,z)=\frac{1}{x^2+y^2+z^2}(x\Vec{i}+y\Vec{j}+z\Vec{k})[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial v_x}{\partial x} =-\frac{2x^2}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^2}+\frac{1}{x^2+y^2+z^2}= \frac{-2x^2}{r^4} + \frac{1}{r^2}[/tex]

In the same way,

[tex]\frac{\partial v_y}{\partial y} =-\frac{2y^2}{r^4}+\frac{1}{r^2}[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{\partial v_z}{\partial z} =-\frac{2z^2}{r^4}+\frac{1}{r^2}[/tex]

The divergence is

[tex] \mbox{Div}(\Vec{v})=\frac{\partial v_x}{\partial x} +\frac{\partial v_y}{\partial y} +\frac{\partial v_z}{\partial z}= [/tex]

[tex]=\frac{-2x^2-2y^2-2z^2}{r^4}+\frac{3}{r^2}=\frac{-2r^2}{r^4}+\frac{3}{r^2}=\frac{1}{r^2}[/tex]

It is the function
[tex]\Vec{v}(\Vec{r}) = \frac{\Vec{r}}{r^3}[/tex]
whose divergence is zero everywhere except at the origin.

ehild

1. What is the Dirac-Delta Function?

The Dirac-Delta Function, denoted by δ, is a mathematical function that is used to model a point source or an impulse in a system. It is defined as zero everywhere except at the origin, where it is infinite, and has an integral of one over its entire domain.

2. How is the Dirac-Delta Function used in scientific research?

The Dirac-Delta Function is commonly used in engineering and physics to represent a point source or an impulse in a system. It is also used in signal processing, control systems, and quantum mechanics to model physical phenomena such as particle interactions and energy transfer.

3. Can the Dirac-Delta Function be graphically represented?

No, the Dirac-Delta Function cannot be graphically represented as it is defined as infinite at a single point and zero everywhere else. However, it can be approximated by a narrow, tall spike at the origin.

4. What is the significance of the Dirac-Delta Function having a divergence at the origin?

The divergence at the origin is a result of the Dirac-Delta Function being infinite at that point. This property is essential in accurately representing point sources and impulses in mathematical models and physical systems.

5. Are there any applications of the Dirac-Delta Function in everyday life?

While the Dirac-Delta Function is primarily used in scientific research and engineering, it has some practical applications in everyday life. For example, it can be used to model the distribution of electrical charge in a system or to represent the flow of water in a pipe.