Need a Tiny Bit of Help with 555 Oscillator Frequency Formula

In summary, you need to calculate the voltage across the capacitor and the resistor values given the frequency.
mmmboh
With regards to this http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/waveforms/555_oscillator.html, I figured out how to get t2 fine, but I have a problem figuring out how to get t1...I know when the negative-going waveform at pin 2 crosses Vcc/3, pin 3 goes to Vcc, and pin 7 gets internally disconnected, and the capacitor charges to 2Vcc/3.
Now using the formula Vcapacitor=V0(1-e-t/RC), what I think "should" be right is to set it up like this: 2Vcc/3=(Vcc/3)*((1-e-t/(RA+RB)C)...but of course this doesn't make sense, the voltage across the capacitor can't go above the voltage that's charging it. The final capacitor voltage should be half the initial for the equation to work I believe. Can anyone clarify how I am suppose to set this equation up please?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
There are many calculators available for doing this, but these are the usual formulas used:

T1 (on-time) = 0.693 * (R1 + R2) * C1
T2 (off-time) = 0.693 * R2 * C1
T (period) = 0.693*( (R1 + 2R2) * C1 )
F (frequency) = 1/ T
= 1.44 / ( (R1 + 2R2) * C1 )
D (duty cycle) = (T1 /(T1+T2))*100

Note that capacitor values are in Farads. R1 is the top resistor and R2 is the lower one.

This website seems OK:
http://www.horrorseek.com/home/halloween/wolfstone/TechBase/com555_555TimerCalc.html

What would be better is one that gave the resistor sizes given the frequency. Usually you are given the frequency and need to know the resistor sizes, not the other way around.
Like this:
F (frequency) = 1 / T
= 1.443 / ( (R1 + 2R2) * C1 )

So (R1 + 2R2) =1.443 / ( F * C1) ...C in Farads, again.

eg if F = 500 Hz and C1 = 0.1uF then (R1 + 2R2) = 28860 ohms.
If R1 = 1000 ohms then R2 = 13930 ohms

Last edited by a moderator:
Right, but the problem is I need to actually derive the formula, for t2 I figured it out, but I can't figure out how to derive it for t1.

Suppose you had a power supply of 9 volts.

The capacitor will charge from 3 volts to 6 volts from a supply of 9 volts.

So, initially, there is 6 volts across the series resistance and the capacitor charges until there is 3 volts across the series resistance and an extra 3 volts across the capacitor.

So, you ignore the initial 3 volts charge on the capacitor and just regard it as a 6 volt supply charging a capacitor up to half the supply voltage of 6 volts.

Oh I see. Thanks!

This might help...

Attachments

• formulas for lab 555 Timer(2).doc
    137 KB · Views: 272

1. What is the 555 oscillator frequency formula?

The 555 oscillator frequency formula is used to calculate the frequency of an astable multivibrator circuit constructed with a 555 timer IC. It is given by the equation f = 1.44/((R1 + 2R2) * C), where R1 and R2 are the resistors and C is the capacitor used in the circuit.

2. How do I determine the values of R1, R2, and C for a specific frequency?

To determine the values of R1, R2, and C for a specific frequency, you can rearrange the 555 oscillator frequency formula to solve for the unknown component. For example, if you know the desired frequency and the values of R1 and R2, you can solve for the value of C by rearranging the formula to C = 1.44/((R1 + 2R2) * f).

3. Can the 555 oscillator frequency formula be used for different types of oscillator circuits?

Yes, the 555 oscillator frequency formula can be used for astable, monostable, and bistable oscillator circuits. However, the values of the components may vary depending on the type of circuit and its specific design.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of the 555 oscillator frequency formula?

The accuracy of the 555 oscillator frequency formula can be affected by variations in the values of the components used, as well as changes in temperature and voltage. It is important to use high-quality components and maintain stable operating conditions for the most accurate results.

5. Are there any alternative formulas for calculating the frequency of a 555 oscillator?

Yes, there are alternative formulas for calculating the frequency of a 555 oscillator, such as the one given by the equation f = 1/(0.693 * (R1 + 2R2) * C). However, the 555 oscillator frequency formula is the most commonly used and is suitable for most applications.