Solving 6kg Cat on Wagon Mass Problem

• Thread starter I Like Pi
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves a 6 kilogram cat walking on a stationary cart at a speed of 1 m/s, and then the cart moving backwards at a speed of 3 m/s. The solution involves using the equation mcatvcat + mcartvcart = 0, where the velocities can be positive or negative depending on the direction.
I Like Pi

Homework Statement

If a 6 kilogram cat walks on a stationary cart 1 m/s straight and then the wagon moves back at a speed of 3 m/s what's the mass of the cart?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking it would be a momentum problem, so mv of cat = mv of cart

I'm not sure I got this right...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I Like Pi said:
I was thinking it would be a momentum problem, so mv of cat = mv of cart
Assuming that both the cat and the cart are at rest when the cat is not walking, yes, I agree with you. :approve:

Just for clarity though, Be careful about direction. What I should clarified in my last post is

mcatvcat + mcartvcart = 0,

where the velocities can be positive or negative, depending on the direction.

1. What is the mass of the cat and wagon combined?

The mass of the cat and wagon combined is 6kg. This means that the total weight of the cat and wagon is equal to 6 kilograms.

2. How do you solve for the mass of the cat and wagon?

To solve for the mass of the cat and wagon, you need to use the formula F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration. In this case, the force is equal to the weight of the cat and wagon, which is 6kg. The acceleration is due to gravity, which is 9.8 m/s². By plugging in these values, you can solve for the mass (m = F/a) and determine that the mass of the cat and wagon combined is 6kg.

3. Why is it important to know the mass of the cat and wagon?

Knowing the mass of the cat and wagon is important for calculating their combined weight and understanding the force needed to move them. It also allows for proper distribution of weight and balancing on the wagon, which can affect its movement and stability.

4. Can the mass of the cat and wagon change?

Yes, the mass of the cat and wagon can change if additional weight is added or removed. For example, if the cat jumps off the wagon, the total mass will decrease. This will also affect the force needed to move the wagon.

5. How does the mass of the cat and wagon affect their movement?

The mass of the cat and wagon affects their movement through the force of gravity. The greater the mass, the more force is needed to move them. It also affects their acceleration and velocity, as a larger mass will require more force to accelerate and will have a slower velocity compared to a smaller mass.