Support PF: Buy on Amazon.com from here

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, Physics Forums has opened an affiliate account with Amazon.com. This allows 5% of any purchase you make to be sent to Physics Forums. This is a neat idea, and is just another way that Physics Forums is helping to support itself.
Could this work with Aliexpress?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Yes and in fact, their commission is 8%!

https://www.aliexpress.com

I don't understand how the deal works.
Is it: from every our transaction PF receives a certain %?
How will Aliexpress know if we use PF? :smile:

ISamson said:
I don't understand how the deal works.
Is it: from every our transaction PF receives a certain %?
How will Aliexpress know if we use PF? :smile:
Yes, if you click the link from PF. There is a little ID that gets attached to the link when you click on it that says "PF sent you".

Greg Bernhardt said:
Yes, if you click the link from PF. There is a little ID that gets attached to the link when you click on it that says "PF sent you".

So I must click on the link you just gave me in post #107?

ISamson said:
So I must click on the link you just gave me in post #107?
Yes or in the first post as I added it to the main list

Likes ISamson
Does this work on smile.amazon.com too?

BoB

Greg Bernhardt said:
I believe so :)

Great! I can get Amazon to give to two worthy causes at the same time.

BoB

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Darn. Should remember this. I recently bought some stuff on Walmart.com and Target.com
I decided to make a Bit-ly shortcut, to remind me. http://bit.ly/PF2buy

Likes Greg Bernhardt
I just bought something on ebay and used the link.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
is the link for amazon still working? the link is the same as regular address

EastWindBreaks said:
Yes, thanks!

Likes EastWindBreaks
Is that list of shopping links in post #1 pinned somewhere (semi)accessible? On the occassions I think of using it I can't remember where to find it!

(also, sorting the list alphabetically by site would make it a little easier to use)

Tom.G said:
Is that list of shopping links in post #1 pinned somewhere (semi)accessible? On the occassions I think of using it I can't remember where to find it!

(also, sorting the list alphabetically by site would make it a little easier to use)
I bookmark it in my browser

EastWindBreaks said:
Just for information: the links are same as regular ones, but with embedded javascript. See this post.

Likes EastWindBreaks
Wrichik Basu said:
Just for information: the links are same as regular ones, but with embedded javascript. See this post.
thats so cool, though I can see PF could lose some $$ because of it lol.

WWGD said:
Bezos sent some people to rough you up? :).
threatened me by saying do this or he sends me a photo... :biggrin:?:):wideeyed:o_O

Likes Comeback City and WWGD
No more BN (Barnes & Noble)affiliations?

WWGD said:
No more BN affiliations?
Afraid not, only Amazon now. I did this because the old broad affiliator was not respecting privacy and causing some performance issues.

Likes WWGD
Greg Bernhardt said:
We've ditched our old affiliator and are now directly connected with Amazon Affiliate. Here is the new link with our tag. Thanks!
https://www.amazon.com/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Could you try affiliating with Amazon.in? Buying from Amazon.com results in surcharge due to shipping and customs. We mostly buy from the India site.

How does Physics Forums gain credit with that www dot amazon dot com link? We know the amazon website address. We can simply visit that www dot amazon dot com page and make whatever purchase. The link listed here on the forum (Physics Forums) is just that same amazon address. Nothing special is in either address, so how Physics Forums earns any money by any of us buying on amazon seems unhooked. HOW DOES the money earning work? How would amazon know that we are hooked onto Physics Forums as a PF member?

symbolipoint said:
Nothing special is in either address
Hover over the link and look at the URL or click it and look at the URL in your browser :smile:

symbolipoint said:
How does Physics Forums gain credit with that www dot amazon dot com link? We know the amazon website address. We can simply visit that www dot amazon dot com page and make whatever purchase. The link listed here on the forum (Physics Forums) is just that same amazon address. Nothing special is in either address, so how Physics Forums earns any money by any of us buying on amazon seems unhooked. HOW DOES the money earning work? How would amazon know that we are hooked onto Physics Forums as a PF member?
Greg Bernhardt said:
Hover over the link and look at the URL or click it and look at the URL in your browser :smile:
I might have missed seeing post #127 discussing the "affiliate link". (https://www.amazon.com/?tag=pfamazon01-20&tag=pfamazon01-20) (my attempted edit is not working correctly here.)

If we click that affiliate link, sign-in to the resulting site, and make a purchase for any items, then is this how Physics Forums earns some credit?

When you land on Amazon from an affiliate link, Amazon can tell that you got there from PF (or anywhere else you get there from) because there's a payload in the URL (https://www.amazon.com/?tag=pfamazon01-20?tag=pfamazon01-20) so even though you don't see the site you land on as being any different than you would had you gotten there via another path, Amazon knows.

Last edited:
symbolipoint said:
If we click that affiliate link, sign-in to the resulting site, and make a purchase for any items, then is this how Physics Forums earns some credit?
Yep! Even if you browse around Amazon and don't see the tag any longer, it's stored in a cookie. For how long, not sure, but I think it expires within hours.

• Informative
Likes Klystron and OmCheeto
Greg Bernhardt said:
Yep! Even if you browse around Amazon and don't see the tag any longer, it's stored in a cookie. For how long, not sure, but I think it expires within hours.
Let me ask one more thing.
I use, most of the time, Google Chrome, occasionally Firefox, and for Chrome I use almost always, Incognito Mode which does not keep cookies after closing the browser. Does this affect anything in case I make an Amazon purchase during a browsing session?

symbolipoint said:
Does this affect anything in case I make an Amazon purchase during a browsing session?
During a session, I doubt it, it's likely stored in a server session variable and the cookie is for the hours after you change websites or close the browser and then return.

still another question: Will PF earn some credit for an amazon purchase done through the affiliate link no matter what kind of item is bought, or must the item be something like a textbook?

symbolipoint said:
still another question: Will PF earn some credit for an amazon purchase done through the affiliate link no matter what kind of item is bought, or must the item be something like a textbook?
Books, electronics, washing machines, refrigerators, clothes, shoes - anything. Greg says:
Greg Bernhardt said:
Think about buying your textbooks or electronics... anything here.

• Informative
Likes Klystron and Greg Bernhardt
symbolipoint said:
I angle towards textbooks because that is what most people buy via PF because there are so many recommendations, but the affiliation is not limited to any product or category. Even getting Amazon services and subscriptions, PF gets a kickback.

Greg Bernhardt said:
PF gets a kickback.
In 'Polite' company that is known as a 'Finders Fee.' (the question arises, what percentage?)