Need help on radial distribution on excel

In summary, radial distribution in Excel is a way to visually represent data in a circular format to compare values across different categories or groups. To create a radial distribution chart, you can use the "Radar Chart" option in the "Insert" tab and customize it by right-clicking and selecting "Format Chart Area". You can also change the axis labels and add multiple data series by right-clicking on the chart and selecting "Format Axis" or "Select Data" respectively. Additionally, you can change the color and style of the data points by right-clicking on them and selecting "Format Data Series".
Amy Chau
Need help on radial distribution on excel!

I'm trying to create an excel spreadsheet that plots radial distribution functions for the 3s orbital of hydrogen for values of p=0...15 I have no idea where to begin

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What is the expression for the radial part ? Answering that, would be where you begin.

Hi there,

Creating radial distribution functions for the 3s orbital of hydrogen can seem daunting at first, but with some guidance, it can be done easily in Excel. Here are the steps you can follow to create your spreadsheet:

1. Start by creating a column for the values of p from 0 to 15. Label this column as "p" and enter the values in ascending order.

2. In the next column, label it as "r" and enter the values of distance from the nucleus for each p value. You can use the equation r = n^2a0, where n is the principal quantum number (in this case, it is 3) and a0 is the Bohr radius (0.529 Å).

3. Now, in the next column, label it as "r^2" and calculate the square of each value in the "r" column.

4. Next, create a column for the radial distribution function, labeled as "R(r)". In this column, you will use the equation R(r) = 4πr^2Ψ^2, where Ψ is the wave function. For the 3s orbital of hydrogen, the wave function is Ψ = 1/√(πa0^3) * (2 - r/a0) * e^(-r/2a0).

5. Use the "r^2" column and the wave function equation to calculate the values for the radial distribution function in the "R(r)" column.

6. Finally, select the "p" and "R(r)" columns and create a scatter plot using the "Insert" tab in Excel. This will give you a graph of the radial distribution function for the 3s orbital of hydrogen.

I hope this helps you get started on creating your radial distribution function spreadsheet in Excel. If you need further assistance, feel free to reach out for more help. Best of luck!

1. What is radial distribution in Excel?

Radial distribution in Excel refers to the graphical representation of data in a circular or radial format. It is used to compare the frequency or distribution of values in a dataset across different categories or groups.

2. How do I create a radial distribution chart in Excel?

To create a radial distribution chart in Excel, you can use the "Insert" tab and select the "Radar Chart" option. Then, select the data you want to include in the chart and click "OK". You can also customize the chart by right-clicking on it and selecting "Format Chart Area".

3. Can I change the axis labels on a radial distribution chart?

Yes, you can change the axis labels on a radial distribution chart by right-clicking on the chart and selecting "Format Axis". From there, you can edit the labels under the "Axis Options" tab.

4. How can I add multiple data series to a radial distribution chart?

To add multiple data series to a radial distribution chart, you can click on the chart and go to the "Design" tab. Then, click on "Select Data" and click "Add" to add a new data series. You can also edit the existing data series by clicking on "Edit" or remove them by clicking on "Remove".

5. Is it possible to change the color or style of the data points in a radial distribution chart?

Yes, you can change the color or style of the data points in a radial distribution chart by right-clicking on the data point and selecting "Format Data Series". From there, you can customize the fill, border, and other formatting options for the data points.