What is the Simplification of a Boolean Function Using Karnaugh Maps?

In summary, the student's homework statement is that the function F should be expressed as the sum of multiplications with minimum literals. The student has trouble with correctly relating truth tables to functions, and states that the expression F= AB+B'C+B'C'D' does not match the truth table. The student realizes that the simplification could be obtained by grouping the four corners on the Karnaugh map instead of just boxes 0 and 8.
Femme_physics
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Given the function:

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/9718/elel0.jpg

A) Write the truth table of the function F (A, B, C, D)

B) Present the function F (A, B, C, D) via Karnaugh Map

C) Express the function F as the sum of multiplications with minimum literals

D) Realize the minimized function F via logic gates

The Attempt at a Solution

I just want to see if I got it right :)
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/1940/elel1.jpg

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/1851/elel2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
See your gate arrangement--you have used two NOT gates to twice produce B'. This is unnecessary duplication.

I can't say much about your Karnaugh map, I need to revise that topic myself. :( But I can see that your equation F= AB + B'C + B'C'D' does not match your truth table. Isn't it supposed to??

Last edited:
let's take as correct, your equation F= AB + B'C + B'C'D'

take out as a factor B' --> F = AB + B'(C + C'D')

consider that last term, B'(C + C'D')

when C is true, the bracketed term evaluates as true
when C is false, the bracketed term evaluates as D

so I think there should be some algebra reduction that allows you to make this

F = AB + B'(C + D')

Here's how to go about demonstrating this. After you've been shown once, you'll probably be able to figure it out for yourself thereafter.

let's focus on the term in brackets,
C + ¬C¬D

EDITED:
Consider two basic logic relations:
you can OR anything with TRUE and it's still TRUE
you can AND anything with TRUE and it doesn't change its value
= C ( 1 + ¬D) + ¬C¬D

remove the brackets
= C + C¬D + ¬C¬D

take out a common factor ¬D
= C + ¬D (C + ¬C)

what's in brackets evaluates as always TRUE, so simplifies to
= C + ¬D

Last edited:
you can OR anything with TRUE and it's still TRUE
= C ( 1 + ¬D) + ¬C¬D

remove the brackets
= C + C¬D + ¬C¬D

I never heard this "Or everything" rule in our Boolean algebra. Could our teacher only want us to use the basic list he gave us?

See your gate arrangement--you have used two NOT gates to twice produce B'. This is unnecessary duplication.
Point taken.
I can't say much about your Karnaugh map, I need to revise that topic myself. :( But I can see that your equation F= AB + B'C + B'C'D' does not match your truth table. Isn't it supposed to??

I don't know how to relate truth tables to functions, only functions to Karnaugh Maps and Karnaugh Maps to truth tables. Is it even possible?

Last edited:
NascentOxygen said:
But I can see that your equation F= AB + B'C + B'C'D' does not match your truth table. Isn't it supposed to??

I believe that expression does match the truth table.
Your truth table is fine, your Karnaugh table is fine, your function is fine and your circuit is fine. :smile:Btw, you can construct a truth table from a function.
Just start with every combination of A, B, C, and D, which you already have in your current truth table.
If you want, introduce a couple of intermediary results.
Then calculate the result of the function for each combination of A, B, C, and D.
Femme_physics said:
I never heard this "Or everything" rule in our Boolean algebra. Could our teacher only want us to use the basic list he gave us?
Which basic list did he give you?
It should include that (1 + a) is always true, that is, it is equal to 1.
Btw, can't you put in a drawing of something? Anything? A beetle would do. :wink:

Last edited:
Femme_physics said:
I never heard this "Or everything" rule
Oops, oops, oops! :redface: :redface: I left out half the explanation in that step.

I meant to also add:
You can AND anything with TRUE and you don't change its value.

Sorry for the oversight. :cry:

Last edited:
NascentOxygen said:
Oops, oops, oops! :redface: :redface:

I meant to type AND. You can AND anything with TRUE and you don't change its value.

Sorry, now you are going to have to go through the process of unlearning from my typo! I hate that. :cry:

Uhh :uhh:... where's the typo?

I like Serena said:
where's the typo?
Fixed now.

I overlooked the distinction between Ø and O so was just a little puzzled. Now I recognize you used Ø for your "don't care" states. So all is correct.

F = AB + B'(C + D')
⇔ F = AB + B'C + B'D'

NascentOxygen said:
I overlooked the distinction between Ø and O so was just a little puzzled. Now I recognize you used Ø for your "don't care" states. So all is correct.

F = AB + B'(C + D')
⇔ F = AB + B'C + B'D'

:) Thank you!

The simplification in the equation could have also been obtained by grouping the four corners on the Karnaugh map instead of just boxes 0 and 8.

I didn't see anyone else mention it, so I thought I would throw that out there :smile:

What are logic gates?

Logic gates are fundamental building blocks of electronic circuits that perform logical operations on binary inputs. They take input signals, such as 0s and 1s, and produce an output based on a specific logic function.

What are the basic types of logic gates?

The basic types of logic gates are AND, OR, and NOT gates. Other types include NAND, NOR, XOR, and XNOR gates, which are combinations of these basic gates.

What is the truth table of a logic gate?

A truth table is a table that shows the output of a logic gate for every possible combination of inputs. It is used to represent the logic function of a gate and helps in understanding its behavior.

What is the difference between a series and parallel connection of logic gates?

In a series connection, the output of one gate is connected to the input of the next gate, resulting in a cascading effect. In a parallel connection, multiple gates are connected to the same input, and their outputs are combined to produce a final output.

How are logic gates used in digital circuits?

Logic gates are used in digital circuits to perform logical operations, such as AND, OR, and NOT, which are essential for processing and manipulating digital signals. They are used in various electronic devices, such as computers, calculators, and smartphones.